Remington Cutlery...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Interesting the disdain by some folks of some knives, including Buck, because they use cheap steel. 🤔 .

I guess I just don't know enough to know better. I have hunted and fished most of my life. I have field dressed, skinned, deboned more deer, etc., than I can count, using run of the mill American made knives, often stainless, and I have yet to find such a knife not up to the task.

My earliest hunting knife, which I still have but only occasionally use, is an old Western. Pre-stainless, and now severely stained and pitted, it doesn't cut any better than my latter-day stainless knives.

I'll continue to use my inferior Buck, Gerber, Kershaw, etc., and more, knives, being blissfully ignorant and happy. :)
My EDC Kershaw was made in China.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Great thread! Makes me wish I would have grabbed that Remington Bullet knife when I saw them back around 1981. Not sure where they were made. Believe they were a two blade design. Seemed to come along at the same time as the Remington Model Four and Six rifles. Looked very nice.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Loved Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalogs back in the '80s. I focused on Scrade, Camillus mostly, they use to sell 2nds cheap. The USA stamped Schrades my favorite, but agree the new Chinese versions are not bad for the money these days.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
A pleasure to see Mike. Bone handle with a carbon steel blade. Imagine solid as hell. Be expensive today.

Wow original box and all! Great sentimental value. Box alone would be valuable. Knife looks to be in great shape.

The pictures don't show it but it has been heavily sharpened over the years. Back then when you had a good knife, you used it. It is not like today when I have several knives for every purpose and most just sit unused. I have a couple knives that have had a lot of blood on them over the years but most have not been in the field.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
The pictures don't show it but it has been heavily sharpened over the years. Back then when you had a good knife, you used it. It is not like today when I have several knives for every purpose and most just sit unused. I have a couple knives that have had a lot of blood on them over the years but most have not been in the field.
For sure Mike! Not many items bought back in the 40s and stuffed away as closet or cabinet queens! Got used for sure. Back in 67 I mentioned my Puma Skinner for around $26-27. Still mint after all these years and have noticed climbing in value. Plan to pass it to my son.

'There's nothing Remington about them, other than the licensed Remington logo. Best I can tell, they're all Chinese. '
That's a pretty solid guess. Maybe 20 years ago they were made in Taiwan or even Pakistan (either maybe a step up from China). I bought a 'dealer pack' of assorted Remington knives when they showed up on the market. Those seemed pretty good for cheap knives. After that ???

51JZEbV4HpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I like this one. USA Kershaw
It carries deep in the pocket

eveled

Hawkeye
Buck still makes very high quality knives in the US.

Their little pocket knives were made mostly by Camillus and some other US companies. When Camillus closed their doors Buck had little choice but to go overseas for those knives. They also have some other budget knives made over there. China is capable of making good quality stuff, Bucks Chinese knives are good knives.

Buck is still Buck, owned by the Buck family.

Remington, Camillus, Schrade, Queen, Ulster, have all sold and are not even close to what they once were. The Chinese knives bearing these names are not high quality.

Back on topic. Remington made knives until WW2 then they sold to PAL. Pre WW2 Remington knives and PAL knives are very high quality.

Last edited:

jgt

Buckeye
I had always wanted a mini two blade pocket knife for idle whittling. One day I saw the perfect size I had been searching for so I ordered it. It was a Buck so I never dreamed it would be an import. When it came I opened up the blades and near the base of one was the word "China". I am not a knife guy by definition. I just know what I want. I use my knives and up to now only use U.S.A. or better like old Puma or Boker knives. I do have two custom fixed blade. One with white micarta scales made from a file and one with Sambar stag made by Dave Boltinghouse from a good quality blank. Other than the Buck the only knife with a questionable make is a copy of a buck 110 design made in Pakistan given out as a safety reward for ex number of days without an accident. It has an extremely hard blade and the only way I got it sharp was to use the knife steel I carry in my tool box. It worked though and the knife does get extremely sharp and holds the edge for a long time. It is now in my fishing tackle box.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I never had a problem with Boker more than any other well-made knife.
But , they were strictly made to cut.
Use them any other way and bad things happen.