REMINGTON 870 FIELDMASTER

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Just wondering if any forum members here have checked out this newer version of the 870 shotgun. It replaces the Express model 870 and certainly sounds like an improvement over that Express model. From the online reviews it now has a walnut stock, polishing or vibra-honing of action bars, and a better overall finish than the Express model it replaces. Available in 12 or 20 gauge with 26-28 inch barrels. Seem to be going for around the $500 dollar mark at dealers like Bass Pro Shop. Sounds like a step in the right direction for a change. Heard also the 1100 will be out soon again but am sure the price will be up there if high polish bluing and walnut like the old ones is included.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I bought a near new Express a few years ago. My hunting buddies were quite worried I'd send one of my "proper" high polish and walnut Wingmasters on a diving mission out of a duck blind or commit some other grave sin against. So I succumbed to pressure. ;) Shall we just say the experience was interesting?

Rough doesn't begin to describe that gun. Years ago Remington couldn't advertise their Vibra-Honing process enough. I don't know how much of an improvement the Fieldmaster will be, but just tossing the parts in the vibrator for a short while would be a world better than the Express.

Rick C

gunzo

Buckeye
The Express was a bit too rough, but they smoothed out & quit rusting with time. But selling at Wal Mart prices kept them in the game at the time. I have 3 of them. And they're the same great design that made the 870 a winner.

If the new Remarms has smoothed them up a bit on the outside & kept the goodness they should have a win.

Hoping new buyers can recognize what is a lifelong, very serviceable firearm.

protoolman

Hunter
I've bought Three original 2 3/4" only 870s in like new condition real high gloss Wing masters in the past several years for $200, $230 and $320 for the latest one this year. The express my daughter has is pretty sorry with weak ejection, rough action and a horrible softwood stock. The new one at least should be smoother and better wood so it should be better. For the money I'll stick with the cheaper old short chambered real smooth Wing masters though.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Thanks for replies. Hopefully they are a big improvement. The blacking/bluing finish suppose to be more durable and rust resistant. M.S.R.P. was around$600 but like I said above most have them for the $500-519 price. Wingmaster could be in the cards along with the 700BDL and 783 I believe shortly. Am sure the price will be up there on those models. Give ya my 2 cents if I score one soon. Bass Pro Shop has the Fieldmaster for $500 I checked.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Anything would be an improvement on the express model 870.
Remington shotguns went down hill when they came out with the express.
Just my opinion , I don't want to insult anyone.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Well I always thought they should have brought back the 788 instead of making those 710-770 clunkers that were just plain awful.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I bought one of the new manufacture plain Jane models of 870. It has a plain wood stock and a matte finish so would be comparable to the Express I suppose. It has the short wood forend and so may be the “police” or security model. I noticed an improvement in the attachment of the shell latches which were always a weak point. I am very pleased with it and just ordered a second one with the rifled longer barrel and scope base attached to the barrel. It was as cheap as just a barrel to buy the whole gun. It will be in the day after the coming holiday. I like the new 870. I think they are at least as good as the old company made and maybe better.

Ia.redneck

Bearcat
I went a little different route. Found a lightly used BPS for $425. Very smooth action.
Nice wood and bluing.

krw

Blackhawk
I dont remember when Express’s came out, but I thought they were a pretty good cheap shotgun. But as the years rolled on they got rougher and rougher. Still have a couple w open cyl bore bbls for home weapons

Epoch

Bearcat
I bought one of the new manufacture plain Jane models of 870. It has a plain wood stock and a matte finish so would be comparable to the Express I suppose. It has the short wood forend and so may be the “police” or security model. I noticed an improvement in the attachment of the shell latches which were always a weak point. I am very pleased with it and just ordered a second one with the rifled longer barrel and scope base attached to the barrel. It was as cheap as just a barrel to buy the whole gun. It will be in the day after the coming holiday. I like the new 870. I think they are at least as good as the old company made and maybe better.
What sort of improvement on the shell latch attachments?

TacoFrank

Bearcat
I bought one of the early ones at KMart for around $160 while on a Pheasant hunting trip after foolishly leaving my Wing Master in the window rack in my unlocked truck while in the same KMart. I came out and realized it was gone so turned around went back in and bought an Express. It's not a Wing Master but mine has been a pretty good shotgun. I gave it to my son when he was 10 or 11 and he still has it along with several high dollar shotguns.
I haven't looked a the newer Express version but from what I've read I probably won't. I did get a Wing Master Magnum soon after gifting my son. Still have it and my son will get it too one day.
TF

Last edited:

Latest posts