Remington 660-.350 Rem Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I always wanted one of the 660's in .350 Remington Mag.I traded a friend for one several years ago and decide I wanted to "refine" the stock.The stamped in checkering had to go so I began re-shaping the stock.

While I was at it,I got rid of the plastic fore end cap and tear drop shaped,plastic grip cap.I replaced both with Gabon ebony.The grip cap is now oval.The fore end was changed from flat bottomed to rounded.Fancy swivel studs and a Pachmyer decelerator pad.

One thing lead to another and I decided to re-shape the bolt handle.I made it more "S" shaped than the original and instead of rectangular in cross section,it is now rounded on top,flat underneath.The handle now flows into the ball,sort of tear drop shaped,a little like a Mannlicher.

I made the top of the ball concave,for the thumb to settle into and my gunsmith welded a half sphere underneath,as it felt a little thin after concaving the top.it feels good in the hand.

The plastic trigger guard was replaced with a steel one and I glassed and pillar bedded the stock.

My gunsmith friend replaced the barrel with a 20" Shilen and gave it a matt finish and polished bolt handle.

It is topped off with a Leupold 1.75-6 scope-perfect for this caliber.

I installed the recoil pad and refinished the stock.I drew out a checkering pattern that fit the gun and complimented the "S" curve of the bolt handle.I recheckered it,I think 18 lines to the inch.The low grade walnut and beech don't allow for fine checkering and I'm challenged anyway when it comes to that.
BearSeason2010198.jpg

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
the .350 packs a lot of punch out to 300 yds.It was originally designed as bear/moose gun for the timber and it fits the bill nicely.I did kill a bull elk with it at 400 yds but it is loosing steam and altitude after 300 so I feel it is better suited for 300 and under which works just fine for me.

I have to confess that I have neglected this rifle for a few years,carrying lightweight Kimber .308.I have been sitting,watching a crossing where a big bear has been traveling and a few yards to my North,is a creek bottom that is just a jungle and choked with blowdowned trees.It dawned on me that the .350 Magnum is a better choice as I really want to stop that bear before he gets into that maze.

Things were slow today and the bear,I believe,has found a lady friend in the mood,in a far away canyon.the story of my life.I decided to take a couple pictures.hope you enjoy.
BearSeason2010199.jpg

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Spectacular rifle!!!

You've done some marvelous work on it. 8)

I had a Rem 673 Guide Rifle in 350, but I eventually got rid of it because I just couldn't make it shoot well. I'm convinced that the vent rib was causing the shots to string vertically. I like yours without the rib.

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
That there is drop dead gorgeous !!!! Nice work!! I have a Ruger MKII 350 Rem Mag that is a tack driver and knocks things over with authority. :lol: :lol: A mighty fine caliber !

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Way to go short barrel ! That's the way it should have been in the first place !

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
This is the clasifieds, right?

So given that this gun is non factory original and has significant alterations..... I will take it for $250.

Thanks.... Where do I send the $$

:wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I think the late great Col. Jeff Cooper would have approved of your rifle. Nicely done! :wink:

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
Sweet Work, I always wanted to get one but the stock turned me off if they look like that from the Factory I would have one. Thanks for sharing.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
You're being way too modest about your abilities. That's professional class work, and you have a fine eye for form and lines (I especially like the bolt handle/ checkering pattern combination. I want this rifle and I'm a lefty!

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Thank you all for the kind words.Just part of what makes this a great site.

Bear season ends here Tuesday,June 15th.I'm going to try to hit it hard these last few days but after that I'll try to post some pictures that I took along the way.

It has been a trying season,weatherwise as it has rained almost every day since April 1 and probably snowed 8 or 10 times during that period.I won't promise any gratitous bear trophy photos.The big boar I've been hunting still seems to be smarter than me.It has still been a great season and I've seen some interesting stuff.