Remington 1100 Butt Stock Woodworking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CW4USARET

Bearcat
I inherited a 1100 that was in terrible condition (rusted barrel and action, wood butt stock that had 3 small ridges extending from the butt plate that were about 1 to 2 inches long).

LGS owner said that the cause of the damage was due to extended improper storage.

Well I replaced the barrel, and the LGS did an excellent job of refinishing the action. I looked at buying a butt stock but they are hard to find and expensive.

So my problem is what to do with the butt stock. My initial thought was to remove the varnish to determine if the cause of the ridges was due to the varnish buckling. If it is not a varnish issue then I will have to remove the ridges manually and re-stain those areas.

Am I on the right track?

gunzo

Buckeye
Yes. The swollen wood has likely buckled the hard Dupont coating & it might appear worse than it is, or not. The only way to tell is get the finish off & see.

Otherwise, I thought i odd that 1100 stocks are scarce so I looked. Gun Parts corp.(Numrich) has 7, and there are over 50 F/S on E'bay. So ya might find something you like if your stock is beyond repair.

Latest posts