Remembering 9-11

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yea I know I have posted this before and will continue to every year.
Never forget.

Hey Guys,
At the time 9-11 took place around 8:45AM or 9:45ET (CRS) was when I became aware of it. My wife and I were flying back to Houston from Norfolk Va.in our Beechcraft Bonanza. We had just spent 6 weeks with my Son and Daughter.
At that time I received a radio call, we had been in the air about a hour, from Air Traffic Control to land immediately. I thought something wasn't right before I got the call. The reason was that a Mercy Flight, flying sick folks, out of NC was told if he landed at his NY destination he wouldn't be able to take off. ATC would not tell him why, so he went back to NC. It was about 10 mins. later when I got "the call"
I asked what was the reason and I was told that there had been a national emergency and we had to land at either Raleigh Int. or Chapel Hill NOW. I chose C H because it is a nice little airport. Boy did I make the right choice for once. I was given a phone number to call when I got on the ground.

At that time I told the controller that I had four kids in the Navy, Son, Daughter, Son and Daughter-in-law, and I wanted to know what the He## was going on. Needless to say I was SCARED I thought someone had set off a Nuke.
The controller was very nice then and told me what was going on.
Anyway we landed at Chapel Hill NC and spent 2 days there before we rented a car and drove back to Norfolk and stayed another 10 days. We could not fly and the kids needed our help. We saw the second tower fall on the TV in the airport office.

Within 2 hours after the attack my Daughter was flying the air group personnel out to the aircraft carrier Harry S Truman, while it was on it's way to New York City. The F-18s could not land without the LSOs and other support people that had to be flown out to the boat.
My Son-in-Law flew his helo that day to go to a ship off the coast of NC to support a Marine amphibious force that was being loaded on board to go to New York City.
That night my Son, who was flying the Navy radar plane E-2, was flying off the coast of New York to see if any other aircraft were coming. If so they would have been intercepted.
It was a bad day for every American. I will never forget how scared I was at the time then how mad I got.

After all these years it still does.

Jim

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

No, we will never forget.

A friend was in NYC this summer and sent pictures of the memorial pool and such where the towers stood. To this day, if I watch a movie or TV show that has what was an iconic screen shot before the attack, I get a little shiver up my back.

Rick C

txramfan

Single-Sixer
September 11, 1976 was the day my wife and I walked down the aisle and started our journey together.

This day has become a difficult one for us to celebrate.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
I was recently out of the hospital after an accident in Long Island and bedridden at home. Watched the Buildings come down on the tube. Then I heard quite a few fast movers overhead and they sounded like they were at full afterburner. Wasn’t long till we smelt the awful stench of the event and we did so for months when the wind was blowing East. Then the calls came. Friends and family calling saying so and was lost. I lost two I knew well but not family. A time of my life I’ll never forget nor forgive as I’m sure many here feel the same. Thoughts for all.a

Last edited:
My wife called me at home about 8:30 and told me to turn on the TV, so I did. Holy crap! Called one of my sons and we watched the situation develop until at 8:45 the other plane hit. We realized it was not an accident. I hung up and called my other son. Filled him in on what had happened so far. Sat glued to the TV for the rest of the day.

Later, after the buildings collapsed, there was considerable commentary on all the emergency preparations being organized at the hospitals. It occurred to me at the time that there would be very few survivors, and this became very obvious as time passed. 😲😢😡

NEVER FORGET!

Posted before also but needs to be remembered.

I wish that I could personally thank each that went above and beyond during those trying days. CW4 Bill Ruth was one of those lost at the Pentagon. I had the pleasure of knowing and flying with him. Never forget.

57springer

Buckeye
I seem to think our Leaders ( if you can call them that ) , Have totally forgot .! I just wonder with our totally open border how many future terrorists have simply walked in ?

I was listening to the radio in my office and hearing that a plane hit the first tower I went to the conference and turned on the TV.
When the second plane hit, I called my wife who was working in the Sears Tower downtown Chicago. My first thought was that we were under attack and The Tower would be a prime target.
I told her to grab her purse, get to the train station and take the first train out of the city and I would pick her up wherever that train took her. Fortunately, she got a train out to Elgin where my office was, and I was able to connect with her there.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
I had just poured a cup of coffee and was headed out back to my shop when I heard the news. Called my wife at her work and told her to turn on the TV. Canceled work for the day.
twin-towers-smoke-9-11-01-ap-file-640x480.jpg

:cry:

Last edited:

Far North Collector

Single-Sixer
sadly. as time passes...it will be forgotten. like WWII and all its inhumanity,s. starting with Pearl Harbor, 3K dead, ...Hitlers deeds...million,s killed, D-Day when 6K soldiers died. all fading in history, with our schools today filling our skulls full of such kids with zero history. to forget the past, we are doomed to repeat it. FNC

contender

Ruger Guru
FNC is right. As time passes,, memories fade & the folks who were affected pass away. The Civil War has passed into history where we have no real connection with it. Small groups work to keep the memories alive,, yet in the last few years, we've seen monuments torn down that helped us remember. The American Revolution has long past,, and only because we are a Country founded out of that war do we recall it.
Other small wars & conflicts etc are all but forgotten.

I recall in school how many kids hated history class. A common comment was; "All they do is want you to remember dates & how to put them with something.

I'm sure that is still true today.

But as long as those of us are alive, witnessed it, felt it's loss, or have a connection,, we'll never forget.

I was in the hospital conference room in a meeting. Admin staff brought a TV in time to see the second building get hit. I remember commenting, “that is why I live in the country”!
gramps

Latest posts