Reluctent Red hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
I have a 4in 45colt Redhawk that has random light primer hits..
After reading here I took it to my local gun bender for help..
We are now to an action job/long firing pin and ordered an extra heavy
mainspring..
After contacting some bug time smiths [you can guess!]
my smith said that some Redhawks just don't work and that factory just
sends out another !!!! Will keep you updated ..

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Have you had the Redhawk since new? I had a 44 mag and installed a Bullseye spring kit in it. After a bit of shooting it started to have light primer hits. I put the factory spring back in and had to problems.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
The newness and amount of usage is important information Groo.

Many here have told stories of encountering filings in the action of new guns, machine marks, metal bumps and such. I don't think a cleanup on the internals of your Redhawk would be totally out of order.

I also really don't think any manufacturer actually intends the public to be the final stage of QC because they understand when a customer is lost, it is hard to get them back and a poisoned word of mouth can be a powerful thing, but I think budgets are being cut at the QC level through out all of industry. I can sympathize with the thoughts that it seems like the public is dealing with far to many lemons and the asking of "what is going on".

You may just need to tear down that Redhawk and clean the internals. It could be as simple as that.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I agree with Three44s, grab your gun and run.

There is an industry standard for firing pin protrusion, that's why Bowen makes and sells longer ones. Some of Rugers were too short.

But to say some of these guns just don't work is silly.

Joe