Reloads for a 77-44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glfisherman

Bearcat
Hi,

I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help.

I purchased a 77-44 and am looking for some reloading adviced on bullets wts and powder loads for this gun.

44 mag are going be legalized in shotgun zones in our state.

Obviousdly one of my goals is a high degree of accuracy with as much velocity I can get out of the gun.

Thanks again for any posts

96/44

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum! I don't know about the 77/44, but the accuracy load for my 96/44 is 12gr of Blue dot under a 300gr XTP. That load will shoot under 2" at 100yds. I have also played around with the bulk Remington 210jhp, and 27gr of H110 (max load), out to 150yds, which I would consider the maximum range of the .44 for hunting.

Enigma

Hunter
Most (all?) reloading manuals have data for .44 Mag rifle loads, so that would be a good place to start. The 77/44 should be a good platform for the .44 Mag, assuming that the magazine is long enough to allow for the longer, heavier bullets. This also presupposes that the rifling twist is fast enough to stabilize them, and that said loads will feed in the gun.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have had great luck with 255 grain hardcast lead by cast performance as well as the Nosler 250 grain handgun partition. Both over a max load of either H110 or 296. Unfortunately the nosler has been discontinued. You might still find some as they were just dropped this year. Another decent bullet is the hornady 240 grain XTP. I prefer the nosler or the cast performance. At higher velocities of close range the 240s sometimes open up a little too quick. I used the 240s in a muzzleloader and had the jacket completely separate from the core on a small doe at about 25 yards. The jacket was in the hide of the entrance hole. The only bullet I have found to be too long is the cast performance 275 grain. All other bullets seated to the crimping groove function fine through the magazine. Wisconsin is talking of legalizing the 44 mag in shotgun zones. I hope it comes to pass. Would be nice to get one of my 7 Ruger 44 rifles in the woods.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
My 44mag rifles like 23.0gr - 24.0gr of H-110 with a 240gr XTP and WLP primer best for accuracy. That said, there are many 44mag bullets and other powders like AA#9 and Blue Dot that work well for me also. I don't hunt but I have heard that penetration, like with a soft point bullet, works about the best. :D

...Jimbo

Barry in IN

Bearcat
Mine likes 'em heavy. Heavy bullets do better than lighter ones, and heavier powder charges do better than light ones too. If I find a 240 grain bullet it likes, then if there is a 300 version, it likes it better.

So far it likes the Hornady 300 XTP in jacketed bullets and in cast, a Lee/Ranch Dog 265FP (that actually weighs 277 grains when cast from wheelweights).
H110 has been the best powder so far for heavier loads.

I was concerned the rifling twist was too slow, but it has handled everything so far. I have a mould designed by SSK that makes a bullet that is supposed to be 310 grains but they come out closer to 330. They are a mile long but shoot fine.
As suggested, you will run out of magazine space before finding a bullet too heavy for accuracy.

glfisherman

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for help with my Ruger 77-44.

Well with a lot of work I have my Ruger 44 shooting well. Thought there maybe some interest on what I had to do. Overall am quite satisfied.

I started out with 5" groups at 75 yards. Now I can get the bullets touching.

See attached picture.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz30 ... 170199.jpg

Lot of work though:

- Had to replace scope with better quality
- Put a new shear in gun and some filling
- Went to "Utility Tool" (machine shop) and had my RCBS die "seating stem" machined to center bullets better.
- Had to shoot slightly blunt nose bullet 240 not my flex tip 225 which was my first choice.
- etc.

Right now I can get better groups by backing off the velocity – however I get almost a 8" drop at 75 yds in point of impact by reducing H110 three grams. 1900 to 1700 fps??

I contacted Ruger and they said they use 180gr JHP Power-Shok when they test this model. I have yet to try any of these Federal bullets.

Some down sides were that the bolt is not machined well and can bind. Not a good "out of the box gun". Needs a lot of modifying. The scope mount comes with the gun is exceptionally high. It has to be so you can work the bolt. Considering the weight 5.5 lbs it shoots pretty good and will make me a good deer gun if our state allows 44 Mag. long guns in shotgun areas.

Thanks again.

Barry in IN

Bearcat
glfisherman":1r2ia7yk said:
Considering the weight 5.5 lbs it shoots pretty good and will make me a good deer gun if our state allows 44 Mag. long guns in shotgun areas.

That's what made it worth messing with for me. Mine needed a little trigger work and I didn't have the best luck at first, but kept at it because it was too handy to give up on. I have a Steyr Scout that is one light compact rifle, but the 77/44 is lighter and handier. Different animals though.