Reloading the Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You'all do know that a SA never runs dry... right? Fire two and start reloading as you shoot... you'll never be empty.
That's exactly what I was thinking ... pretty slow compared to a semi-auto but doable and I bet there are some competitive pros out there that can do it so fast you can hardly see them do it.

As I've posted before, I carry a spare magazine even when I'm not carrying.... it is right beside the pouch with the bottle of nitroglycerin tablets.

Last edited:

K1500

Single-Sixer
It's a bad idea.
1. How will you carry it while preventing the rounds from falling out?
2. It isn't entirely safe. This is doubly so for a rimfire cylinder. If you drop it and it lands in such a way to strike a primer, it can go off and will shoot with fairly normal energy levels.
3. How much faster is it really? Especially under stress.
4. What are the odds you have enough time to actually put it to good use?

Whatever you decide, just make sure you're proficient at the loading sequence. Decades ago when I took my CCW shooting test, there was a couple there using a Single Six for the revolver portion to the shooting test. It took so long for them to run through 18 rounds each that the rest of the class left the line and sat in the shade.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Rather than figure out how to do a quick reload on a single action you'd be better off just going to a bow and arrows...

Paul B

Hunter
When I was still able to be a desert rat I usually carried a single action. Most times a Ruger although a few times a Colt rode in a holster. Then when the problems with illegals and drug runners got worse I went to a double action with three speed loaders for serious use. I also carried a few loose round to reload if shooting at a target of opportunity.

For the mountain hikes, I might take a single action or double action depending on my frame of mind.

These days, I still carry a single action of sorts, a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP. You see, I don't cheat fair. Usually have an S&W M60 .38 Spl. as a back up gun. I don't do desert and mountain hikes anymore due to physical problems.
Paul B.

Latest posts