Reloading the 6.5mm's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Yesterday, I was in Books-a-Million to purchase the October copy of Handloader magazine. It was not on the rack yet, but Wolfe Publishing had a special Issue of Rifle Magazine devoted to reloading the 6.5 mm's, nothing else. Each caliber had a short chapter written by the usual writers for Rifle and Handloader. Of particular interest to me was the "Pet Loads" style chapter by Brian Pierce on the 6.5 PRC with over 500 loads. Until now the only loading data I could fine is from Hornady and in the new Sierra #6 manual. This was very timely, as I took delivery of a new Mossberg Patriot Predator in 6.5 PRC yesterday, as well. All of you that load the Creedmore, 260, 6.5x 284, 6.5x55, 26 Nosler, 264 Winchester,6.5-06, 6.5x300 Weatherby, and several wildcats should find this magazine excellent reading. After 68 years on the planet, I'm beginning to believe the PRC in 6.5PRC may mean "Perfect Rifle Caliber", as a 140 grain bullet at 3000 fps is close to ideal for most of the lower 48. Enjoy the magazine, Bob! :mrgreen:

The only 6.5 I ever loaded for was a 264 WM and it was an exasperating experience. A friend has been loading for his 6.5 Grendel and has far different results. He says it's not difficult to get "good" loads and "great" loads come w/o spending too much effort or components.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
The 6.5x55 is one of my favorites and it has been easy to load for. That said, I agree that a 140 grain 6.5 at near 3000 fps is about as good as it could get for North American game up to a moose, excluding bear.

jbarnwell

Bearcat
I have experience with 6.5-06 Ackley and can say it is the Hammer of Thor with 120 grain Ballistic Tips on these southern whitetails.

Enigma

Hunter
The 6.5mm cartridges are a very useful group, and often underrated in the U.S. I have some limited experience with both the 6.5X55 and 6.5-06, and really like both cartridges. My 6.5-06 has accounted for more than one Arizona mulie - and coyote. While definitely more than needed for coyotes, it sure kills them DRT!

rangerbob

Buckeye
The 6.5-06 is much like the European 6.5x65 RWS. The Ackley version, is close to the 6.5PRC. The strong points for the PRC are readily available ammo and brass, and it works in most short actions. The ammo loaded by Hornady covers most of the bases and the best handloading efforts can only match it. I enjoy wildcats as much as the next fellow, but if one wants a high performance 6.5 round, the PRC is hard to beat, with out going to the 26 Nosler or 6.5 x 300 Weatherby with the high cost of rifles, ammo, and brass. My Mossberg was exactly what I was looking for, and it was less than $350. Bob!! 8)

gunzo

Buckeye
Hodgdens annual manual is also a good source. By printing/updating every year they can stay on top of new cartridge releases.
They only publish data for their powders, but considering they distribute not only Hodgden, but IMR & Winchester powders as well, they've got it pretty well covered.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well I finally found some 6.5 PRC brass, as well as some WW 7mmWSM brass, headed my way, along with 2000 MagTech 38 Super brass. I may never have to buy brass again. Got to go now,my Dillion 550 needs oiling. Bob!! :mrgreen: