Reloading the 45 Colt: Ruger Single Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Danny

Single-Sixer
Considering getting a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I am already setup for 44 Magnum and 45 ACP. I use H110 and Universal. It seems like I have seen 45 Colt loads here and there with those powders, but not as often as others, at least where I have looked. I would like to load jacketed bullets weighing 240 grains and upwards. Will I be ok with these powders, or will they be a compromise? I would be interested in the Ruger level loads.

Only interested in using H110 and Universal.

Danny

Last edited:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have loaded more H110/Win296 (same powder) for full-boogie 45 Colt than any other powder. I lean towards 300 grain bullets and up, and that powder give some of the top velocities with the heavies. I do highly recommend a magnum primer with 110/296, as I have read some horror stories from reputable sources about poor ignition in cold weather with standard primers.

I have no experience loading Universal in the 45 Colt.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Here's my latest adventures with Universal and a 250 gr LHP. Haven't run it over a chrono yet, but I'm guesstimating around 900 fps.

Attachments

• IMG_E3570.JPG
    IMG_E3570.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_E3571.JPG
    IMG_E3571.JPG
    982.4 KB · Views: 150

Danny

Single-Sixer
I have loaded more H110/Win296 (same powder) for full-boogie 45 Colt than any other powder. I lean towards 300 grain bullets and up, and that powder give some of the top velocities with the heavies. I do highly recommend a magnum primer with 110/296, as I have read some horror stories from reputable sources about poor ignition in cold weather with standard primers.

I have no experience loading Universal in the 45 Colt.
Looks like I am ok. I forgot that H110/Win296 were considered load alikes. I was seeing Win296 loads. I only require brass bullets and dies.

Danny

Rclark

Hunter
Universal will work fine. Load like you do Unique. I currently use Green Dot for my general purpose load, and HS-6 for a Tier 2 woods load (23K). Tier 3 (30K) is Ruger only loads... where I don't need/never needed to go. I am sure H110/W296 will work fine for your 'hot' Tier 3 Loads. People seem to like that powder for that application.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I decide to start a loading process,, I take the gun, see what bullet weight is "normally" produced for shooting from the list of factory offerings. (Example, in 45 Colt,, 250 grn is about normal.)
Then, I study the powders used.
Next,, I start the loading process, to see just what MY gun likes. And since each gun can be different,, I'm always concerned with a few TOP priority issues.
(1) Safety.
(2) Accuracy.
Everything else falls behind those two.

As an oldtimer once said; "I'd rather be accurate with a powder puff load, than missing with a cannon load."

Enigma

Hunter
Danny, you probably already know this, but the mid-frame flattop Blackhawks and Vaqueros (with a 3-digit serial number prefix) are not suitable for the Ruger-only .45 Colt loads. They are suited for loads up to the same pressure level as .45 ACP +P, or around 21,000 PSI. The large frame (2-digit SN prefix) guns are suited for the barn-burners, should one choose to do so.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Look up some of Paco Kellys loads.....theyll make your fingers quiver
Never been a fan of the hot loads. Middle range loads is what I load.
If I get the urge to shoot something hot, I'll bring out the 500 Mag.
That will cure your itch for something hot.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
There's no reason to use H110/W296 (magnum powder) in the .45 Colt unless you want a magnum load. It doesn't like being loaded up and down as much as 12 other better choices for middle loads.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
With my 320 gr hard cast loads. I get good accuracy with 4227. Top end loads. If reduced accuracy suffers. My load gets 1340 fps out of a 4 5/8 Blackhawk.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
Can't go wrong with 4227 if you can find some. It's my 45 Colt "go-to" powder in everything from a SAA to a M83 FA. Shot some yesterday.

Reactions: LAH