Reloading some Hi-Tek hard cast for my GP100 357mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Will be reloading some Missouri Bullet 180 grain pugnoses. (BHN 18 hi-tel coated)
Am looking for any reloading tips related to loading coated bullets.

The one tip I've seen so far is to put a larger flare on the case to minimize the case scraping off coating.

Any other tips??

Thanks much!

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Will be reloading some Missouri Bullet 180 grain pugnoses. (BHN 18 hi-tel coated)
Am looking for any reloading tips related to loading coated bullets.

The one tip I've seen so far is to put a larger flare on the case to minimize the case scraping off coating.

Any other tips??

Thanks much!
Flaring is the most important tip.
Second, don't forget to not clean the leading out, cause there won't be any.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,, you need just enough flare to avoid the cutting of the coating,, and no more. Usually it's about the same as normal cast lead, with lube.

Make sure you can seat the bullet correctly. Heavier bullets MAY be too long if crimped in the normal crimp groove,, depending upon the bullet design.

I'm using a 195 grn cast & coated bullet in a .357 Maximum,,, and I'm deep seating,, OVER the top driving band. And this bullet was designed to be loaded that way. When shooting at 100 yds,, and getting honest 3"-4" groups,, hard to argue with success. But a Maxi is not a Magnum.

But the coated bullets have helped MANY people overcome the dreaded "leaded bore cleaning chore" a lot.

dannyd

Hunter
With Hi-Tek if you trim the cases and bevel the mouth making loading easier. I have used that bullet in my Ruger Bisley and Encore rifle.

If you get a Lyman M die that also helps; Missouri Bullets makes a very good bullet.

I also use a Taper crimp to help protect the coating.

Some people don't like the taper crimp with revolvers bullets, but I run the bullet up 1211 fps with no problems at all. Most times get an SD of 27 fps.

The best thing you can do to that GP is get a Red Dot.

Last edited:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
With Hi-Tek if you trim the cases and bevel the mouth making loading easier. I have used that bullet in my Ruger Bisley and Encore rifle.

If you get a Lyman M die that also helps; Missouri Bullets makes a very good bullet.

I also use a Taper crimp to help protect the coating.

Some people don't like the taper crimp with revolvers bullets, but I run the bullet up 1211 fps with no problems at all. Most times get an SD of 27 fps.

The best thing you can do to that GP is get a Red Dot.
What powder gives you that SD?
And yes ,a red dot realizes the potential.

dannyd

Hunter
I mostly only load 38 special or 357 magnum and I use a Thompson Center in 38 special and 357 magnum to test. It's like using a universal receiver, so most of the time my numbers are better than in the revolvers (I have 5 gp's and 5 Blackhawks) because of the cylinder gap.

Loaded 144,559 rounds of the two, so I have alot of data and always gathering more.

That 180 mostly likes Unique, H4227, H110 or W296 (same powder) 2400 or Blue Dot. Accurate #9 would also work.

dannyd

Hunter
One of good reloading manuals for data on 357 magnum and that bullet is Oregon Trail Reloading Manual 1st edition and unfortunately only edition.

You can find it online as a pdf.