Reloading manuals

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like Hornady reloading manuals, and have the last couple years editions. There are some others I reference to get a good idea of a load before trying it out.

I'm wondering how they determine say 12.7 grains of a given powder. Why not 12.5. Then they go up by .6 grains. Why not .5?

Then with the same caliber (357) but different powder, they go up in steps of .3 grains.

Do they go up by .1 and then just publish what they feel is the best?

Surely they have an idea of what the results will be before testing. I can't see them going into something blind.

buckaroo

Banned
I'm wondering how they determine say 12.7 grains of a given powder. Why not 12.5. Then they go up by .6 grains. Why not .5?

A lot of testing, this is why you never go by home brewed on the internet. I would never ever tell anyone about the inner workings of my loads. If you don't know what you are doing you go by established load data of which Lyman's is the godfather.

Yes, and I understand what you are saying, I usually reference at least two different books. They aren't always the same.

But I'm curious how the book's authors come up with the spread between loads. I can't see any pattern. I would think they would use some sort of pattern or formula of some type.

buckaroo

Banned
I can't see any pattern. I would think they would use some sort of pattern or formula of some type.

Kevin, this may sound weird but I don't think there is a pattern to it. I say this from my own testing and wondering why I can feel the difference yet I loaded it all the same and in my scenario I've come to the conclusion it's the weather. They may have some other rhyme or reason in their testing as I'll guess it's under more a controlled setting then mine is. Also if their testers are using different guns perhaps. Who knows right.

Last edited:

Latest posts