44 carbine, I am buying a 1970
tube fed one this afternoon and
I hope you can give me some
pointers.
Merry Christmas to all!!
ron

mike7mm08

Buckeye
First off no lead bullets as they will plug up the gas system. Rate of twist in the original carbines is best suited to bullets around 240 grain or so. I have had great luck with 240 grain xtps with a max or near max load of H110 or W296. Also a great but expensive bullet is the nosler 250 grain handgun partition again with max load of H110 or W296. But if you need a bullet that will handle most anything this is a great choice. Shot a bison cow with this load bullet was found under the hide on the offside after going through ribs on both sides. Lost only about 15 grains and expanded perfectly. Also before shooting the gun I would disassemble the gun and clean it very well.

SAJohn

Hunter
The old .44 carbines were noted for being finicky with ammo. Listen to Mike.

A caution with H110 - it has a very small 'window' of minimum to maximum load, stay within that window.

John

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
My load which worked well in my carbine and pistols was/is 29gr of H-110 under a 200gr hornady or nosler HP bullet with a mag primer. Real works well on game and funtions in the carbines both my friend and I owned.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
In a Deerfield I use 20.0gr of AA #9, a Win WLP primer, Federal brass and a 240gr XTP bullet with very accurate results. :D

...Jimbo

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Divernhunter":9uczvgi5 said:
My load which worked well in my carbine and pistols was/is 29gr of H-110 under a 200gr hornady or nosler HP bullet with a mag primer. Real works well on game and funtions in the carbines both my friend and I owned.

Might want to step that back a bit. 28.5 is listed max. Hate to pound a gun that hard when parts are very hard to get. Just my 2 cents.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Lyman book data is max 29.9gr H-110. It is hot but I have used it for many years in quite a number of pistols/rifles with no troubles. I do realize that it is not a load to shoot allot of in the carbine due to parts etc. I should probably have said that. I had many of these thru mine without any problems then had to sell it when I needed money. The guy that bought it still shoots the rifle.