Reloading for SP101.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deezil

Bearcat
My SWC are made from lead ballast weights from a old boat. I dont know what the make up of it is....its pretty soft.. They lead up in my .38's after shooting a bunch. They are .158gr swc.

Deezil, it sounds like your swc are of pure lead. Way too soft. CAS shooters use BHN's of 10-12. With proper fit, there should be no leading. I don't slug bores, merely use the cylinder fit=no leading. You will find what works for you too. It is all good. For a bunch more information on cast bullets (boolits) go to www.castboolits.com
gramps

deezil

Bearcat
Thanks Gramps. I am a member on that board but my days of casting are over. I have a baby in the house now and I really dont want to mess with casting any more. I'll just shoot these off until they run out in my 38's.

deezil

Bearcat
A Local Sporting goods store just happened to be loading up shelves with powder when I walked in one afternoon last week. I had twisted my ankle a few days before and needed to get out of the house. I ended up getting
1# cfe Pistol <Was like $17
1# hp-38 $22
1# h110 $21

No Bulk Powders I could afford.

I had recently sold a Little Mint Colt JR for WAYYYY too much Money and had some to spend on supplies. I still have enough left over Maybe even to get a entry level press. Maybe..

modrifle3

Buckeye
22 to 23 gr is the load for 296 in a .357 with 110xtps ... It's a published load. If this is what you have load away and ignore everything else you are told.

modrifle3

Buckeye
And yes I know he isn't using xtps but same concept. Semi jacketed does matter in this case. I assume these have a crimp groove and that will determine seating depth.