Reloading equioment advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pal Val

Buckeye
I started with a Lyman turret press set. The only item I've had to replace was the scale. I dropped the one that came with the set and bought an RCBS one a year ago. Also, I never liked the auto prime feature, so I did away with it and bought an RCBS hand primer. Works for me. So, now I work with a Lyman/RCBS hybrid system. I can load a good 300 rounds of one sitting with no more effort than it takes to give a big dog a bath.

And, it doesn't shake itself dry and get water all over me!

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Get a Lee kit with the Classic Cast single stage press or better yet, get the Lee Classic Turret.
Cast iron and steel on both of the Classic models and they handle anything you can throw into them.
AND, they are a lot less expensive and work just as well as anything else you will buy.
Use the money you save for buying brass, bullets, powder and primers cause they arent getting cheaper.

Ive used RCBS, Lyman and Redding. All good presses but for the money, my Lee Classic Turret loads MORE ammo for LESS cash.

I have used my Lee "O" frame press to resize .375H&H cases to .300 H&H using RCBS form and trim die and Imperial Sizing Die wax and it worked perfectly. I also use it to full length size for my .416 Rigby so I know it has NO troubles doing whatever work I want including resizing .22 Hornet.

They work. Other guys may not have liked them but they just work.

Bob D

Bearcat
It seems like no one has answered the question you've asked. The 310 tool or the LEE loader. I have both and have used both. Get the Lee loader. You can't go wrong with it for $30 bucks. You will have to lube your cases but it's a pleasant pastime when you are not in a hurry, knocking out one round at a time. There is a powder measure in every kit and a load guide.
I have Lee presses, RCBS presses, and a CH press. You will have more too probably but the loader is a good economical place to start.

VictimNoMore

Bearcat
Just finished reloading my very first 50 cartiridges of .38 special.

All using a Lee Anniversary Kit.

First impressions are thus: You will learn a LOT in your first 10-20 cartridges. I spent about 2 hours getting everything set correctly, and ended up tossing about 8-9 cartridges. Consider it the "price of learning".

Once everything was set up...I loaded another 25 cartridges tonight in under 30 minutes.

As I go...it's becoming easier and easier. And...money well spent.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":1to4molp said:
Next are you gonna tell me I have to have a Gold Cup to experience true 1911 ownership?

Well ..... yeah .... :D

REV

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
ClemBert":3qoa4pgg said:
Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit. I'm currently using it with Lee carbide dies for .40 S&W and 45 Colt. It is a very easy system to use and for the money it is hard to beat.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...rce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=9315

Well, now you guys have gone and done it!
I've lurked in the reloading forum for a while and this thread tipped me over. After seeing that Midway has the Lee Anniversary Kit for $81.99, I made the plunge to start reloading.

I guess it only makes sense to get an Anniversary Kit so I can start tapping the potential of my Anniversary .357!

-Stephen

w5lx

Single-Sixer
sfhogman":25c5koaj said:
Here's an interesting article on the Lee Classic Turret Press.
http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm
It's very well thought of, and very well designed.

Jeff

Jeff:
Thanks for the link to that excellent article. I would recommend anyone considering a new press to read it. I bought the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit from Cabelas and couldn't be happier. Setup was a breeze and the quality of the press is excellent. I previously had a single-stage Hornaday Press and this one is hands-down a superior setup in terms of speed and efficiency.

rafiol

Bearcat
gregs45auto said:
A cast iron press will last to hand down to your grandkids. I have an RCBS from the 70's.

Grandkids and beyond. I too started on a Rock Chucker in '76 before moving up to a Dillon 550B that I inherited from Dad for 'volume' runs. Still use the Rock Chucker for low-volume runs or when working up loads. Simple... no flex... and built like a tank.

RAF

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
I'll put in a plug for my favorite press... the Hornady Lock-N-Load.

It's my favorite because once your die is adjusted you remove the die in its own bushing. Next time you use that die you put the die/bushing back in the press with your adjustments intact. For me it's a great time saver. I do understand that a turet press sort of does the same thing but the Hornady is my preference.

gifford

Bearcat
The Midway Lee kit is one way to get into reloading, probably a good one since the used single stage market at gunshows isn't what it once was. Still keep your eye peeled for a single stage Lyman or RCBS. I still see them for about half the price of new ones and sometimes less.

My 1969 RCBS single stage is still going strong, probably will be after I'm long gone. I've got a two sets each Lee and RCBS dies; two Lee Powder measures and a couple of scales. It works for the four pistol calibers I reload.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
After reading all this noone has mentioned the total cost of reloading from supplies & equipment vs commercial ammo.Plus how much do you have to shoot up before you're ahead of the game?What cal. is really worth the effort over doing it yourself--cost wise only, not the fun part.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I concur with getting a good iron high leverage O press like the RCBS
Rock Chucker and some good dies, it will indeed last you until you give
it to your grandkids and past that point.

VictimNoMore

Bearcat
toyhunt":u3n1gne7 said:
After reading all this noone has mentioned the total cost of reloading from supplies & equipment vs commercial ammo.Plus how much do you have to shoot up before you're ahead of the game?What cal. is really worth the effort over doing it yourself--cost wise only, not the fun part.

Having just bought in to the reloading scene, maybe I can offer a little number-crunching that will satisfy your question.

1. Lee Anniversary Kit via Midway = $100
2. Lee .38 special carbide die set = $40
3. Lee .380 carbide die set = $44
4. Rainier .380 bullets x 1000 = $76
5. Rainier .38 special bullets x 500 = $41
6. Hodgdon TiteGroup powder, 1lb = $18
7. Remington small pistol primers x 300 = $11
8. Winchester Brass .38 special x 100 = $18
9. MagTech Brass .380 x 100 = $17
TOTAL = $365

I just reloaded about 100 .38 special cases this week, using *maybe* 1/4 pound of the TiteGroup powder.

From what I can figure out...my cost per round is *roughly* $.15 per.

I have two boxes of American Eagle .38 special ammo that cost me $19.95 per (or $.40 per round).

Pretty good savings, right there. In the order of 66% or so. Naturally, the longer I reload (and re-use the cases), the lower my cost-per-round becomes over the long haul.

And...it is absolutely a wonderful way to spend your time. YMMV and all that jazz.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
using the low end # to reload 1000
81=bullets,36=powder,33+prim,=$150+/1000=.15/rd
before adding 140 eq+34 brass=$174/1000=.174/rd

.15+.174=.324/rd first 1000 rds.
So, it will take a few 1000 rds to see .15/rds,,which is ok. Did I miss anything?

mrkti

Bearcat
Actually, I have stopped loading 9mm. The cost savings just are not worth the hassle of setting up my Dillon 650.

I now load .327, .357, 38 spec, and .380. The 327 and 380 are for availability reasons, the 357 and 38 are for low recoil target loads.

My 650 is 12 years old ... I would have a hard time justifying now on cost savings alone ... you would have to shoot a LOT.

John

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
toyhunt":1j1w1non said:

So, it will take a few 1000 rds to see .15/rds,,which is ok. Did I miss anything?
It's not that simple.

Brass is reusable, up to a point, and that point is variable. Depending on caliber, it can be expensive. I get my bullets cheaper than what's listed above. Are you willing to shoot lead? If you insist on jacketed bullets it'll be more. Plated are about halfway in between. Some load recipes use more powder than others. I've got one .44 mag load that'll use up a pound for 250 rounds.

Some calibers it just doesn't make sense to try to shoot without reloading, as commercial rounds are all but cost prohibitive. .45 Colt and .41 Mag come to mind, and that's just handgun. OTOH, as stated, it's hard to get excited about reloading 9mm from a cost perspective.

Then reloading becomes a hobby unto itself. You want a new scale, or some other doo-dad that'll make life a little easier. A new set of dies for another caliber; a new turret ring to go with the dies; a different crimp die. You decide if you're going to all this trouble you might as well get the chronograph so you can tell what these loads are actually doing. You simply try new loads and end up with 5 types of powder, at $22/lb. I didn't see any extra reloading manuals listed - I'm assuming one comes with the kit, as is the case with the RCBS kit.

You don't do this strictly to save money, unless you're one of those guys who gets to shoot 10,000 rounds/month. But then you have to buy a progressive press, so the investment is much higher.

Like any subject, there's a fine line between "hobby" and "dangerous obsession". :D

-- Sam

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks all, I don't see me shooting enough.I get 9mm 50/$10 wallyworld.I am stocked up.My new lever gun is 45, so I will have to get the neighbor to teach me after I get some brass.357/38 would be next.Last wk. got 357 50/$24 at wallyworld.

VictimNoMore

Bearcat
toyhunt":1rbwgun8 said:

Re-use your brass and watch that number drop quickly.