Reloading equioment advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
revhigh":2xkiwpst said:
Most people who own Lee presses and swear by them have never used any other presses, They cost half the amount of other setups for a reason. Buy quality the first time, and you won't be buying a second time.

Stick with RCBS, Hornady, Lyman or Dillon ... you'll be glad you did.

REV

My Dillon 550B was my first handgun/rifle press. It is still the only one. I've had it more years than I can recall at present and it works great. I used it last nite and will use it when I close this post. My first choice; lifetime guarantee even if you buy it used...
Sonnytoo

e3mrk

Bearcat
I use a Lee single Stage Press for everything from 38 Special to 303 British and have no complaints.

A

Anonymous

For handloading straight walled pistol cartridges, the strength of the press is less important than when loading bottlenecked rifle cartridges.

In rifle loading, the cheaper press will spring enough that if you try to adjust your dies for minimum headspace you will have problems mainaining a .000" to .002" tolerance.

For that reason, and thinking that you will probably graduate to rifle reloading at some point, I think it would be advisable to buy the Rockchucker or equivilent press to start with.

My vote is for RCBS. Before you go buy one of those kits, check out Ebay or a gunshow for (used) individual components. As long as the used parts are in good condition, why not? Almost all of my reloading equipment is used. Except the scales that is. RCBS 10.10 is a great scale.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
StanMemTn":1spvkb6p said:
Can anyone tell me what might make the RCBS Rockchucker a better first press than the Lee Anniversary press?
I seem to always see both mentioned prominently in threads like this one, but I also seem to get the sense that the RCBS is probably a bit higher quality. Is this correct?

-Stephen
The RCBS stuff is built heavier, and has more mechanical advantage in the ram. Since it is heavier and "stiffer", it could be said to be slightly more consistent, in that it would flex less.

However, in my experience of owning both the Rockchucker II and the Lee Turret, I can say that they produce rounds of equal consistency, which is the name of the game. For rifle rounds I follow some pretty stringent benchrest type guidelines, and Lee Turret works fine for me.

I just love the implication that those of us who like Lee gear "just don't know any better". Gee, rev, I thought you were better than that. Next are you gonna tell me I have to have a Gold Cup to experience true 1911 ownership?

BTW, the Dillon gear people just love to tell you you "need"? That's great if you want to spend $700 just to get started. Great advice for a beginner looking at a hand press.

-- Sam

airwin

Bearcat
Since about 7 years I use the Lee 1000 reloading press and have loaded with it about 20 k rounds in different calibers. The 1000 is sometimes a little bit jerky to use and will not work soo precise as other much more expensive products, but I can well live with this cheap press. I agree with some writers here to save the money for buying a progessve loading press (like the Lee 1000) later. If you will add a pistol sometimes and shoot much more rounds as with an SA Revolver, you can safe a lot of money by reloading. When my Lee 1000 is adjusted well, I can reload up to 500 cardridges per hour. Even the 9mm I reload myself.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
airwin":piqo8t5v said:
Since about 7 years I use the Lee 1000 reloading press and have loaded with it about 20 k rounds in different calibers. The 1000 is sometimes a little bit jerky to use and will not work soo precise as other much more expensive products, but I can well live with this cheap press. I agree with some writers here to save the money for buying a progessve loading press (like the Lee 1000) later. If you will add a pistol sometimes and shoot much more rounds as with an SA Revolver, you can safe a lot of money by reloading. When my Lee 1000 is adjusted well, I can reload up to 500 cardridges per hour. Even the 9mm I reload myself.

I learned how to reload on a Lee pro1000. it made nice ammo. I've been trying to come up with an excuse to buy a new progressive press, like a Hornaday Lock N load or a dillion. but the 1000 just keeps pumping out good ammo.

I reload 45 colt on the pro1000. and it works. I went and bought a turret press once I got into it, and its easyer to use for sure. but its hard to give up the speed of a progressive. and I think a whole pro1000 with dies is like $150.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
revhigh":4g7wp312 said:
Most people who own Lee presses and swear by them have never used any other presses, They cost half the amount of other setups for a reason. Buy quality the first time, and you won't be buying a second time.

Stick with RCBS, Hornady, Lyman or Dillon ... you'll be glad you did.

REV

I have a Dillon Square Deal, and it's great for the purpose I bought it for, loading a lot of .45acp quickly.

I also still have my Lee Challenger single stage, and I use it for everything else, including .45Colt. I love the Lee Challenger, it's simple, durable, reliable, and easy to use and set up. For single stage presses, the Lees are the best bang for the buck. Their turret press is OK, I'd stay away from their progressives.

For a single stage, you won't regret getting a Lee and saving some money.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The number of rounds you shoot also plays a big role. In my opinion the Lee classic turret press is a hard value to beat. You can easily load a 100-150 rounds an hour on it. I've done in the vicinity of 10,000 in the last year with no problems. The press and dies work fine, the scale they sell with the kit kinda sucks, I use a RCBS. You will need some reloading manuals also. Most important is to read, and read some more. Reloading will open up a whole new understanding of firearms to you.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I would not hesitate to buy a Lee Challanger press. I don't own one however. I started with a non-compound single stage RCBS called the Junior.

I still use that press but have also added a Lee Classic Turret. If you can afford that press by all means buy it!

But if saving the bucks is essential then the Challenger will not disapoint you for an initial set up.

Any way you go ......... WELCOME TO HANDLOADING!

Three 44s

sebtool

Blackhawk
Kevin":19c1ypc4 said:
My vote is for RCBS. Before you go buy one of those kits, check out Ebay or a gunshow for (used) individual components. As long as the used parts are in good condition, why not? Almost all of my reloading equipment is used. Except the scales that is. RCBS 10.10 is a great scale.

+1!!!

I have no experience with the Lee presses, but I do have a couple of their die sets, which are fine. I have a Rockchucker press, and an old Lyman turret press, both of which work well. Haven't used the Lyman much, but it's time to get it out.

Starting on a budget is alot easier now than when I did around 1990. Between feebay and all the firearm forums out there (I'll bet Algore regrets inventing the internet now! :lol:) you can get set up pretty reasonably.
If your budget will swing it, you can always get a starter kit. Browse some of the reloading suppliers, watch for sales. Who knows, checkout Amazon - you might get lucky!

But before you load anything, pick up a couple of reloading manuals and start reading. Check out the forums, as there's ALOT of experience and good advice out there,and on this site in particular.

You'll figger it out, and have fun! :D

mrkti

Bearcat
I have had three Rockchucker presses ... very solid. I have an RCBS Partner press now, plenty good enough for pistol loads, and a Dillon 650 (not a good starter unit BTW).

A friend bought a Rockchucker off Ebay ... the whole setup for pretty cheap money. That's where I would start.

John

jimsuber

Bearcat
If you ever decide to reload for rifles, and you just want to use hand dies. Buy Wilson dies, a wooden mallet and a powder scale and a hand primer. Very simple. Makes Ruger rifles shoot little tiny groups. Off topic I know. I'll hush now.

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I started with the LEE 'smash set'.
Then I added a LEE Reloader press, but I broke it on its very first stroke (admittedly, I'm still using it, mounted 7.5" to the left of the Co-Ax).).
Then I bought a Bonanza Co-Ax.
Then I bought a Dillon XL650.
Then I bought a LEE Challenger, but I broke it during its first session, and stuck under a bench.
Then I bought a Lyman Crusher II.

I believe I have things covered; know what I mean?

Three44s

Single-Sixer
The OP:

"I just bought my first Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and would like to start reloading on a small scale with minimal investment. "

Taken literaly, the .45 LC will not stress things too much. His wallet seems to have more stress cracks in it.

I think a minimal press will serve him better than scaring him out of handloading in the first place.

If he needs more press later on ..........

........ he'll be hooked and can figure out how to be "upperwardly mobile" as to his next move.

I shake off "Samsonite Gorrilla" moments with better or more lube ..... like the Imperial Die Sizing Wax product.

Three 44s

bigflash1

Bearcat
+ vote for the Lee classic turret press kit.
However...
1. Opt up for the pro powder feeder. The one that is standard is not user friendly and will be junk in no time if you change powder disks for different loads.
2. Buy the carbide dies! Cleaning up lube is a pain in the rear and if you're doing straight cases, you won't need the grease if you started with the carbide.
3. Purchase a basic digital scale. Best $50 I ever spent.
4. Most IMPORTANT!!!! Buy a good reloading manual!

I figured I saved enough money in the first 1000 rounds to pay for most of my "initial" investment. Yes it's a hobby, so you will spend more $ down the road (ammo boxes, tumbler, brass, etc)

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I started many years ago with a little Lee Hand Loader set then moved "up" to a Lyman 310 Tool. Both worked just fine. They are slow but relatively inexpensive, very portable and easy to store. However, you will soon *want* several accessories that will make your handloading safer, more versatile and easier (e.g. powder scale, measure/dispenser, hand primer tool).

While these accessories are certainly useable with the simpler tools, they are more versatile with a good single stage press. You don't really need a trimmer just yet for straight walled pistol brass, but the Lee trimmers are inexpensive and work well.

Get a good set of carbide dies and forget the lubing hassle for 45 Colt loading. Plus, you will be able to use the dies with another setup in the future if you upgrade to a progressive press. The 310 tool dies cannot be used with other presses, and are fairly expensive in comparison to even good carbide dies which can often found reasonably priced used. They don't make 310 dies in carbide.

I would recommend putting together your own "kit" -- something like the RCBS Partner press, a good quality inexpensive press that will provide long, excellent service for pistol cartridge loading. It is easily mounted to a 2x8 and clamped with a big C-clamp on the kitchen counter or other makeshift bench if space is an issue. Next you want a decent scale, which can be had inexpensively, perhaps a good measure (or you could get a RCBS Little Dandy which uses measuring rotors and forego the scale, but but the scale/measure combo is far superior), maybe a Lee Hand Primer tool (although the press will also prime, it will speed things up and uses your die set shellholder).

And most importantly, a couple of good manuals!!

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
One more big vote for the Lee Classic turret press. If you can break it with your bare hands, you can probably bench press 400 pounds or more too!
I started with a cheap Lee single stage. Once I found out I liked reloading, I went for the Lee Classic Turret. Best thing I ever did! Immediately bought one for my son. It is now all he uses too. He added the primer feeder, auto powder dispenser, etc. I clean the primer holes, so deprime and prime separately. I also weigh every charge; (I know, I know.....), so I don't use an auto powder dispenser.

As has been mentioned, buy a 'kit' if you can. You will want the other stuff that comes with it eventually, and it's a lot cheaper buying it all in a kit.

Oh, yes, the CLASSIC version of the Lee Turret is a lot larger and stronger than their earlier turret. And one other thing: the Lee 'auto-indexes' when you raise the arm. You don't know it now, but the advantages of that become VERY apparent after you've loaded several hundred rounds on a turret that does NOT do that!!

If you intend to load thousands of rounds a week for competition, I'd probably go straight to a Dillon. But for 'normal' amounts, I don't think the progressives are necessary. And if you load a number of different calibers, the turret is just SO easy and fast to switch between calibers, you won't believe it. Just get a separate turret 'head' for each one. On sale, they're less than $10 apiece!

Bottom line: IMHO, buy the Lee Classic Turret and save all those HUNDREDS of dollars for powder, primers, brass, and bullets!