Reloading Components - Are they available in your area?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
I'm trying to develop some 308 Win handloads and started shopping around for components. I called a couple of local shops and spoke with the reloading counter people - they are pretty short on reloading components for 30 caliber cartridges.

I had a list of bullets, primers, and powder that I was interested in possibly buying and many/most of these items were not available and on back order. They had a 125gr .30 cal bullet, but most of the heavier weight bullets were out of stock. Federal primers were all sold out. And I couldn't locate any Hodgdon H4895 powder anywhere.

How's the situation by you? Are components readily available? Many of the online retailers seem to have shortages of certain items as well.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Rumor has it it's bad everywhere.

Primers are just coming back onto the market after a 6-9 month drought. Powders are slowly trickling (hah!) back onto the shelves. Brass is a problem all over.

Finding specific items is still tough.

-- Sam

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Where I am, there was a bunch of Remington (only) primers a month ago or so, but now all I can find are .30 cal bullets (mostly the Hornady 150 SSTs) and 9mm brass. Noooo smokeless powder.

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
It seems like ammo is slowly trickling in locally. I thought components would be available as well. At least I was able to purchase some pistol primers this summer and some Unique powder as well. I have some copper plated 45 Colt bullets that I ordered still on backorder. it's been several months and still no word on delivery.

I'm wondering if I should start casting bullets...

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
I was in a farm and ranch supply store last Saturday and noticed they had a good selection of powders - I bought a can of 760. But the only primers I saw were shotgun primers, and I didn't even look at their bullet selection. I don't believe that store has ever carried brass.

Charlie bravo

Bearcat
Hi guys
I know that being up here in North East Canada we are a bit off the track for big supply outlets for components . But to give you an idea .

Our gun club put in an order in excess of $40,000.00 for a mixed bag of primers powder shells and wads . This was in April . In September we had to tell the dealer not to wait any longer ...ship what he could . A lot of guys unable to get powder and primers.
Brass and primers are the hardest to get. As of a few weeks go we are now unable to get brass out of the US due to some trade restriction placed by the US . The only orders are now from large supply houses and the cost has gone way up.

Primers are difficult to buy , a few hundred not a problem but large orders just not there.

Powder is starting to be a bit more easy to come by.

I sure hope the shortages ease off a bit . I've got a new Dillon 650 coming within the next few weeks and I sure do not want to use it for a coat rack!
Good shooting , best of luck

Dutchy

gifford

Bearcat
I recently was able to find primers, large pistol, and powder, Unique, at a small gun shop in a nearby town. He said he couldn't get bullets to stock. So it may be a matter of location; another gunshop had lead bullets, no primers. Brass is low no matter where I seem to go.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":s91m58ns said:
Rumor has it it's bad everywhere.

Primers are just coming back onto the market after a 6-9 month drought. Powders are slowly trickling (hah!) back onto the shelves.
-- Sam
Hum here in So Texas we have had all our powder back for about 6 months, I can get all the powered I need or want. I cannot get primers; they are still hit or miss. Bass ProShops (I hate them) limits you to 2 boxes a day… as in 2 100 packs $7.00 when they have them.

keby

Bearcat
Here in Columbus at the LGS store everything is readily available. Powder, primers, brass. Prices aren't too bad either. Ammo is also getting pretty easy to find. Haven't figured out why it's so easy here and harder in some other parts of the country.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
A little over 2 weeks ago I drove over to Georgia Arms (6 miles) and I bought bullets (300 .45) and primers (1000LP). I already had powder, but it seemed they had a pretty good stock.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
My local shop has been getting powders back in pretty well, but still no primers. They don't stock brass, and a very limited selection of rifle bullets.

Most of my stuff has been ordered online, powervalleyinc.com had Wolf primers in stock a little while back so I bought a couple thousand large pistol and .223 primers. Also picked up a couple 8lb. jugs of powder.

As far as bullets go, midwayusa.com has been doing a pretty good job of keeping stuff in stock. At least they give you a date when they expect to get it in (and they're almost always right).

I haven't had to worry about brass, I have enough of that here at home.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I haven't seen a lot of improvement yet here in SoCal: each LGS I visit seems to have a couple of pounds of oddball powders that aren't on everybody's "go to" lists. Primers are pretty much non-existent still. Same w/ brass.

Only thing I've seen an improvement on is bullets at Bass Pro Shops. It looks like the folks at Hornady have been putting in a lot of overtime--other mfrs are still sketchy.

Online, it looks like if you log on frequently to check all your favorite sources, you can find "most" items, 'cept primers. I'm "ok" right now, but limiting my shooting so as not to run too low until I can get back to "normal" levels of components.

Rick C

BluedMoon

Bearcat
I didn't shoot a lot over the summer (it's pretty warm here in north Texas!), but from my few trips to BassPro, Cabelas, and local shops over the past couple of months I thought things were much better... I bought more small pistol primers, got small rifle primers (were on back order through a local gun shop for a couple of months), and picked up powder (2400 and H110).

Haven't been looking in the past few weeks though. :)

#1rugerman

Single-Sixer
Went to a gun show in Montgomery about 3 weeks ago, only primers I saw were small rifle bench rest, except for one jack ass that had a few boxes of small pistol magnum cci's marked 60 dollars, I called him a scalper and walked away ( the small rifle primers were $26. No H110, bulleye, unique, imr 3031 or imr 4350. No bullets to speak of (except real odd ball calibers) Lots of 40 s&w and 9mm some 45 auto, no .380 anywhere.

DGW1949

Hunter
Bought a brick of Federal Match small pistol primers from Cabellas for $39 about 90 days ago.
One of my local gunshops had Win WLP's last week @ $49 per brick. Too pricey for me though.
Found some Unique at my local gun show last month for $25 OTD.
Haven't seen any .38/357 or .45 bullets around here at all.
No .30/168 Match bullets.
No IMR4895 to be had, anywhere local.

I might see the day that I'll wish I'd have bought them WLP's.
I guess time will tell.

DGW

A

Anonymous

Sportco in Fife, WA finally has primers but you are limited to two hundred of each type. Better than it was
Wholesale Sports in Silverdale, WA has a pretty good selection of powders but a sign up that says "No Primers"

So I bought primers at Sportco and powder at WS

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Around these parts, shasta county, PRK, primers are "catch as catch can" on a week to week basis. Bullets seem plentiful enough if you're not real particular, but the most popular handgun powders like Unique or H-110 are often sold out.....

Rex Driver

Bearcat
I must be one of the lucky ones, for the past couple of months my local shop has had federal small pistol primers in both regular and now in magnum at about $34 a thousand. At first they had a 1K limit and then it went to 2K and now they are on the shelves and I am not sure if there is still a limit. Over the past two months, between this store and one other I have been able to stock up on about 10K SPP 7K in federal and 3K in Winchester. My powders of choice win 231, clays and universal have also been in good supply at only slightly above Pre Obama prices. Last week I asked the owner of the shop if primers would be avaliable for a while and he stated he had a very large supply of Remmington on the way, confirmed in shipment. At the present time life is good, my press is happy, my range owner is happy and I get to clean guns.

Now, if only I can locate 41 Mag brass at a good price! Best I have seen was last weekend at a gun show for 19.95 for a hundred, since I have a couple of hundred, I decided to wait to see when I could order a thousand from starline.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Primers are no longer a problem for me (they were flat unavailable all summer), but now powder is scarce. I managed to get some .44 Special brass from Midway, but my shop still hasn't gotten a shipment that's been backordered for months.

No .22 LR ammo in the local regional chain store that I shop at, but other than that they've got a good selection of calibers in commercial loadings.

-- Sam