reload data for 22 k hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nhdon

Bearcat
HAS ANY BODY RUN ACROSS RELOADING DATA ON DATA 7 1/2 INCH REVOLVER FOR THE 22 K HORNET I HAVE BOTH THE SBH CONVERTED & 77/22H CONVERTED (SAME REAMER) BOTH 1 IN 14. THE SBH SEEMS TO LIKE THE 45 OR 46 BEES SO FAR BUT 52 GRAIN STARTS TO WARBLE (EXSPECTED). THERE IS ABOUT 600 FPS BETWEEN THE TWO GUNS. WENT LOOKING FOR HORNET WITH DIFFERENT TWIST, got SIDETRACKED BY 223 REM M77 MKII AT LEAST I HAVE A TON OR TWO OF BRASS FOR THAT ONE.
22K HORNET HAS TO WAIT AWHILE ANYWAY THERE A QUESTION AS TO WHAT IS THE ANGLE ON THE SHOULDER 35 OR 40 DEGREES SO FIRED CASES ON THE WAY FOR DIES AND TOOLS, MAY be UP TO 10 12 WEEKS.
FYI IM RUNNING A .0035 SHIM BETWEEN BOLT HALFS ON THE RIFLE HELPED SOME BUT STILL SOME STRECH IN CASES. DONK there is a sbh 22 hornet , 218 bee convertible on the gallery donk

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Many years ago there was a 'need' for 22K Hornet, but question it's use now. (yes, I have one). I no longer remember the data and it's hidden away somewhere. The Hornet would hold a full case of 2400 and 4227 which was it's maximum loading and the load would be compressed and the K Hornet perhaps a grain or so more (WW cases) compressed. 10-15 years ago when specs were lowered for the Hornet/K-Hornet, even the K-Hornet loading would fit into an unexpanded Hornet case........thus my question for making a K-Hornet any more. This I say tongue-in-cheek, now. I was not aware of the newer specs an the Hornet/K-Hornet until some years after it happened. I continued shooting my stock of ammo made with the old specs. When learning of the new specs, I worked up slowly and surpassed the new specs. Don't tell anyone, but I went right back to the old specs with new powder. My rifle is a Winchester Model 43. Used to be called "the poor mans Model 70". Before I purchased it (40 years ago) someone rechambered it to 22 K-Hornet. New 22 Hornet case loss runs high after fire-forming and reloading. Fire forming resulted in split cases and first shot after, there were neck splits. After 2nd shot, case loss is at least 30%. I always used Speer 40gr Hornet bullets.The rifle is basically retired now.

I love your idea of building a Super Blackhawk in 22 Hornet! Wife's first handgun of her very own was a first Generation, first Model Contender in 22 Hornet with the old 10" flat bottomed, octagon barrel. She still has the pewter grip plate with her initials engraved. :)

pruger45

Blackhawk
My dad had a re-chambered Savage 219 back in the 60's-70's that was a tackdriver. I do have some vintage handloading manuals with data for the K hornet.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have this first year model 70 Hornet that was re chambered to K-hornet before I bought it about 40 years ago. I have all the fixings and die`s, quite a few cases etc.
I did mess with it for awhile but it hasn't seen the light of day for ages.
I lettered it and Winchester company wrote back it was made in 1937. However I think it has a 1935 date under the barrel if you pull the stock. It was drilled and tapped for a scope. Probably the stock was refinished before I got it. Now I am getting the hots to drag it out thinking about it. I have my notes on it somewhere around here.

Latest posts