Refresh my memory, it's been a long time since I've had one.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Bearcat convertible. Roughly how many went out? I'm thinking in the 200 - 300 range but don't recall. As I recall the one on mine was the red box, is that right?
Didn't Ruger pull them because they didn't think the Magnum cylinder would hold up?
What do you think the today's value is? Seems like the one I had was in the $1200 - $1300 range and went pretty quickly. My memory is not the best so please correct me, where needed.

contender

Ruger Guru
There were a few variations of the convertible NM Bearcats made.

According to the RENE,, large serial numbered convertibles with the serial number range of 93-00504 to 93-00513 are known,, with an existence up to serial number 92-00529. Not more than 29 produced.

Next,, the SCB4 & KSCB4 models, with a combination of of the cylinder calibers being stamped or rollmarked. They can also have (3) different grip medallion variations. Known serial number range from 93-00500 to 93-01944. About 1000 made.
It's been reported that only 301 of the .22 mag cylinders were returned to the factory.

So,, the number made is in the ball park of 1000 guns,, with a few variations. And with the recall,, it has left about 700 in the market.
Current RENE pricing puts a NIB one at $1600.00

Bear Paw Jack said:
Didn't Ruger pull them because they didn't think the Magnum cylinder would hold up?

In an email conversation I had with COFFEE POT many years ago he said that they had discovered some frame stretch with the Magnum 'Cats. The cylinders were OK.

COFFEE POT was in charge of customer service at the Prescott facility at the time, but he had come from the engineering department where he was instrumental in the design and development of several guns.

I am forgetting too... Did I own one, or did I refuse one? Either way, the one and only Bearcat Convertible I ever handled when they were new and available, was so severely mis-timed, it went back to the factory, never to be seen again. I figured I'd buy one when another one hit the shelf again, which they never did.

If Coffee Pot said there were frame stretching issues, then I DO take him at his word. He had access to much more information than I can imagine.

I thought the timing problem was the bigger issue and more wide spread and that caused a pause of this model, which was soon abandoned.

. :mrgreen:

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought a stainless NM Bearcat .22 LR cylinder and re-chambered it to .22 Magnum. The timing is fine and it shoots well. I haven't shot all that much; I just wanted the option.

COFFEE POT did mention that there were other "unspecified issues" involved that led to the recall, but he didn't specify anything. The alleged timing issue seems to be the one that gets The Company's official mention.

they came in a yellow and black fold up box, similar to the shorter SP101 or even a Security Six late box, more rectangle, than long....MY wife had like 6 of them.... got them from our old friend Ray Ciampoli from New Castle ,PA she split them up to I think Chads Dad, and the late flatgate Carl Laco ended up with at least one of them through a third party..they worked just fine and from what I recall they had put old model barrels on them, smaller bore diameter, built up too much pressure and there was a time issue if put together "half arsed"...who knows for certain, EVERONE told us something different from the factory, ah yes if they could only talk, and not just go "bang"

JpgcZLum.jpg

....." and so it goes, RIP Wil Terry" :wink:

and Happy Thanksgiving to ALL here on the forum....... 8) :roll: