Refresh My Memory Guys?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
I havn't been around surplus ammo in quite a while so can't remember what "Black" tipped ammo is for sure. Thinking it is "armor piercing". Anyway, my sister's husband has Alzheimer's and I was removing his guns and ammo so he couldn't hurt himself or anybody else with them and came across a fair amount of old military surplus "black tipped" .30-06 ammo he had and couldn't remember for sure what it was. Refresh my memory guys!..................Dick :?:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
SBH4628, The headstamp is clockwise: L C 4 5. I have approximately 40 rounds. He also had a full box of .30Cal Carbine still in the Lake City Box, L C 4 (50 catridges). He bought a lot of "stuff" back in the 50's evidently. The ammo has the ordinary old brass stains but seems to be good otherwise. Average collector quality............................Dick :wink:

SBH4628

Blackhawk
LC 45 is Lake City
LC 4,1940
Anything under "42" could be corrosive primers.
Collector ammo at best.....Thanks Pinecone :D

Enigma

Hunter
SBH4628":2yonb5xu said:
LC 45 is Lake City
LC 4,1940

Make that '52 for .30-06; all USGI .30 Carbine ammo was noncorrosive.

And the black tip being AP and red tip being tracer only applies to USGI ammo; other countries, even NATO members, use different color codes.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Black Tipped '06 Ammo, Korean War "bring back":

Entrance Hole.....
59454478.jpg

Exit.....
59454476.jpg

:D

The 1" thick piece of hot rolled was leaning up against one of my T-1 gongs and it was enough to halt that bullet. We repeated the situation and ended up with several of these "knick-knac's".

Arranging things so the '06 bullet didn't have to hit anything behind the 1" hot rolled resulted in the bullet carrying on its' merry way "way down range".

flatgate

PS In the first image above the 1" steel is leaning on the end of a 105 mm Recoilless Rifle cartridge..... :D but that's a story for another day.....

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Cool "knick knacks" flatgate! :D I remember the ol' man firing a .243 at a piece of steel leaned up on an oak tree one time. Dang bullet richocheted back and went through the radiator of his '57 Ford P/U!! We had to stop at a couple creeks on the way home...Dennis (Who has been often tempted to try to light the white stuff on the back of a .50 cal tracer bullet... :shock: ) :lol:

DGW1949

Hunter
Enigma":3tc6brh9 said:
SBH4628":3tc6brh9 said:
LC 45 is Lake City
LC 4,1940

Make that '52 for .30-06; all USGI .30 Carbine ammo was noncorrosive.

And the black tip being AP and red tip being tracer only applies to USGI ammo; other countries, even NATO members, use different color codes.

FWIW....

FA USGI "match" 30-06 continued using corrosive primers well up into the late 50's.

A few years back, there was quite a bit of Korean 30 Carbine ammo imported which carried an "LC" headstamp. Most of it was tested to have corrosive primers. A lot of it was being sold around the shows as being Lake City ammo, which of course it was not.

So be carefull of what you buy. Or at least be prudent about cleaning.

DGW

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Ale-8(1)":99j04vap said:
" . . . tempted to try to light the white stuff . . . "

Please have a witness with a video camera on hand when you do this.

;)
I said "tempted" not determined, resolved, gonna, etc....Like to keep what's left of my old hide intact! LOL Dennis :wink: (BTW, what is "the white stuff" on a tracer? Some kind of magnesium compound?)