Reflex or Red Dot Sight on Ruger P Series?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Anyone ever install the J Point or Burris Fast Fire, Reflex Red Dot on a Ruger P series pistol?

How about the Laserlyte RL-RP? Which I can't find available anymore....
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/laserlyte-rl-rp-rear-sight-laser-ruger-p-series?a=864872

I'm thinking I'd like to have both, on different pistols of course.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Ok, no responders with hints so I did some research. I took the plunge to order and received the J-Point dovetail mount and the necessary adapter for the Burris FastFire III site that I ordered via Amazon today. I intend to mount this optic on my KP-89 once I confirm the mount, adapter and Optic are operational and play well together. I will remove the rear sight and install the J-Point dovetail mount and have a go at it.

I do have a few of the P-series in different models/flavors and considered getting some other aftermarket adjustable sights while they are still available. Any recommendations? I like the P series, with the aftermarket Hogue grips and the collection of various magazines I have already. Something to be said about a non polymer firearm.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I'll be interested in your results.
I've been looking for a reliable red dot option for my P89 and other 9mm pistols.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rugerguy211 said:
I've been looking for a reliable red dot option for my P89 and other 9mm pistols.
The Burris Fastfire 3 and Vortex Venom are two moderately priced red dots that have a good reputation for quality and durability. Cheap red dots won't withstand the pounding being mounted on a semi-auto's slide gives them.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
rugerguy211 said:
The Burris Fastfire 3 and Vortex Venom are two moderately priced red dots that have a good reputation for quality and durability. Cheap red dots won't withstand the pounding being mounted on a semi-auto's slide gives them.

Thanks. I had not found the Vortex in my searching, I'll check that one out as well.

Bobert

Bearcat
FYI, The battery can be changed without removing the sight on the Fast Fire 3's, not the Vortex.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Bobert said:
FYI, The battery can be changed without removing the sight on the Fast Fire 3's, not the Vortex.
That's correct for the Vortex Viper but not the Vortex Venom. The Venom allows battery changes from the top and it isn't necessary to remove it from it's mount.

Bobert

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Bobert said:
That's correct for the Vortex Viper but not the Vortex Venom. The Venom allows battery changes from the top and it isn't necessary to remove it from it's mount.

Good to know

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Ok, I did get the mount to replace the rear sight on my KP93 (instead of the KP89), the adapter for the mount and the Burris Fast Fire and have it all mounted. Burris is kinda "Dry" sighted in using my bore sight red dot and the Burris Red dot. I know it will need tweaking, but have not yet been to the range. It appears firmly affixed and have read good reviews on the Burris.

I will have to get a photo or two and follow up with a range visit.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Bobert said:
I will get my mount from "http://www.raptor-eng.com" tomorrow.

I checked with those guys and they do NOT make a mount for the Ruger P Series.

The mount I got from JPoint isn't a real tight fit and it worked loose after firing a few times. It only has one of the screws that you can use because of what is under the sight. I may have buggered this one up a bit installing it and am considering getting another....and being more careful installing the second one.

Bobert

Bearcat
I am afraid that will be the case for us. Adapting a different model gun mount. Sadly with the "P Series" out of production, we may be SOL.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Yes, aftermarket accessories are limited and drying up every day. I'm hoping to get another adapter to try again.......

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Ok.....got it installed and bore sighted a bit....but had to order a shim to get elevation down so I can tweak it with adjustment screws. But here is how it looks....

KP93DC with Burris Fast Fire3

c6100d14cdf8a4d90d750a920f1082c8_zpspujrernu.jpg

Bobert

Bearcat
PAVTXER said:
Ok.....got it installed and bore sighted a bit....but had to order a shim to get elevation down so I can tweak it with adjustment screws. But here is how it looks....

KP93DC with Burris Fast Fire3

c6100d14cdf8a4d90d750a920f1082c8_zpspujrernu.jpg

How about some details. How is it attached? Mill the slide? Drill & Tap the slide?

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
JPoint adapter. Remove rear sight, install adapter in the place of sight and attach either JPoint optic or Burris optic. I need to add shims to get front angled down a tad tho.