Refinishing new Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

init1973

Bearcat
Hello I have a new 10/22 # 31157 Fancy french walnut Viii Talo Model. Not crazy about the finish,would like it a deeper sharp color. Any suggestion on what to use on the finish. I will use it often not as a collectable.
Thank You
init1973

Johnnu2

Hunter
That sounds fine ,only what Do I do about the Checkered parts. Thank You
I normally clean out the checkering with a little 'stripper' and a toothbrush. Then I cover the checkering with masking tape (carefully) and apply my finish to the checkering AFTER the rest of the stock is complete. I have had success using Tru-Oil mixed with a moderate amount of mineral spirits. This mixture takes quite a few coats but fills the pores and gives that 'hand-rubbed' satin finish that I like.
J.

"You can have your cake nd eat it too, just buy an extra stock and install it for field use."
^^^I second this advice^^^
Nothing and I mean NOTHING will protect the wood from the inevitable bumps/dents/dings resulting from actual use. Since it's a simple 2 minute operation to swap stocks on the 10-22 and take-off birch or tupperware stocks are cheap, no real disadvantage to this strategy. If you're REALLY going to use the rifle, the tupperware is even better since it offers much better gripping areas.
My primary 'using' 10/22 (not so much in use but always available) rides in the 'SkyRack' of my UTV with a latex glove finger over the muzzle and a tight neoprene scope cover. Some metal parts are completely w/o finish and it's always covered in dust. Just blow the dust off with compressed air now and then with a complete teardown for cleaning when it begins to choke. Not the environment conducive to a nice wood stock but the tupperware stock looks as good as ever with only a dry cloth wipe down.

init1973

Bearcat
I took care of the stock with boiled linseed oil and it looks great. I bought it to use so I can always fix the little dents and dings by sanding or whatever then reapplying the boiled linseed oil. Saw a you tube video and it explained how to do this and it worked out great.