Reducing stainless glare...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kestump

Bearcat
I have an M77 Mark II, stainless/synthetic in .30-06. It is from the era of the boat paddle stock and bright steel finish. It has been used to take several elk, deer, and bears over the years. I've never cared for the shine from the barrel but have never done anything about it. I believe the glare was directly responsible for a missed opportunity on a nice muley this fall, so now I would like to do something to darken it up. What are some options or finishes that you guys would recommend for this...blueing, parkerizing, cerokote, etc.? Advantages, disadvantages? Durability? Or, should I just paint it myself?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you're willing to pass a long!

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
You can take it to a good gunsmith/maker and have it glass beaded. I also remember some stainless guns were blued. I have used camo tape that was made for this purpose with good results. You always can remove after the season.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
In a deers eyes the satin stainless won't shine nearly as much as say a high polished blued rifle. Blue is one color that really stands out to them and that blued rifle will almost glow to them but you never hear "my high gloss blued rifle spooked the deer". Most other colors are just shades of grey. Personally I think its bunk that a shiney stainless will spook deer. Ive had a wet nose print put on the barrel of one of my satin stainless 77's from a pretty nice sized buck that came up to investigate as I was lying on the ground and several others less than a barrels length away over the years. Movement and your silhouette are worth worrying about but I don't think the guns finish is.

Here is some reading on what deer see. There are tons of similar articles out there like this one.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/big-game-hunting/scientific-facts-about-how-deer-see-and-hear/

kestump

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check into some of the tape or cover options.

As far as a permanent finish goes I was thinking more along the lines of a matte or flat black, not a gloss bluing. I don't disagree with what you mention rugerjunkie, but it seems that movement, if it has to occur, would be exacerbated more by a bright white gray barrel than a darker one. It seems the barrel would the obvious possible issue. Perhaps a few wraps of tape here and there would break up the overall silhouette.

wunbe

Buckeye
An inert object with a scare-the-horses gleaming finish like the ones Ruger started out with is not likely to spook an animal; it might even stir up curiosity in a dimmer witted beast.

But wave one of those high gloss rifles around while in pursuit of a trophy that has made it through a few years of the hunting wars and you can bet on chasing him into the next county -- but then you'll never even know he was there in the first place.

wunbe

JFB

Hunter
if you want something PERMINANT, dull greyish browninsh, then use this!
http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener/stainless-steel-blackener-8-fl-oz.html#

I have a salvaged SS Mini14 I wiped with it hoping for black. I was told it looks like it was just dug up from a WWII battlefield
IMG_0057.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I don't know about deer - but I've noticed other hunters from across the canyon more than once, by the glare off a stainless gun. A real head-turner.
Use some camo tape, or stay out of direct sunlight?