Reduced power Wolff springs in a Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mark454

Bearcat
Has anyone installed Wolff's reduced power spring in their Redhawk? What weight do you recommend? I would like to reduce the trigger pull weight on my Redhawk but I am concerned about reliability if I replace the spring and continue to use Winchester primers.
Thanks,
Mark

contender

Ruger Guru
I have found that I leave my springs alone to assure reliable ignition. I prefer to "clean-up" the action to help the feel of shooting.

GP100man

Buckeye
Agreed

Especially with the Redhawk , also lock time increases dramaticlly!!!

I`ll take smooth over lite anyday & prefer a small amount of stacking.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
GP100man":2fm9xwbk said:
I`ll take smooth over lite anyday & prefer a small amount of stacking.

I agree that smooth is good, but 5 1/2 lbs pull in single-action mode is NOT conducive to good shooting in my case at least.

I just got the Brownell's spring replacement kit which contains three springs. I replaced my stock spring(14#) with the 12#, which is reco'd by a very competent gunsmith.
Sonnytoo

Pinecone

Blackhawk
mark454, No reason why you can't have both "light & smooth" when it comes to your Redhawk or any other revolver! I have been doing this to revolvers for close to 44 years and lots of them. My own Redhawk has a 3lb single action pull and an 8.5lb double action pull and I have yet to have a missfire with factory ammo! Redhawks, contrary to popular belief, take to "tuning" up very well.......................Dick :wink:

A

Anonymous

I bought a Redhawk 44 Mg. used from a guy who had installed the lighter springs. When I fired full power loads, the cylinder would often unlatch and back up one hole so that the next shot would be on an empty chamber.

That is a good way to find out if you are flinching.

Anyway I replaced the original springs and never had a problem after that.