Redhawks in different calibers - different lockup as well?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I've noticed that there is a difference in lockup between a 45 Colt Redhawk and 44mag Redhawk.

By that I mean that the cylinder stop seems to pop into the cylinder stop notches sooner on the 45 than on the 44.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in mass between the two cylinders. If the cylinder of the 45 weights more than the 44, I figured more mass would cause the cylinder to spin "quicker", hence the quicker lockup.

I haven't measured and thought someone might know already.

I always figured the cylinders were the same size, just that the 45 had bigger holes. ;)

It is very easy to "stage" the cylinder on the 45, but more difficult to do so on the 44. On the 44, If I give the trigger a brisk, short stroke it'll lock up quickly like the 45, but it ain't soon until the hammer falls.

I'm not concerned about the timing at all as everything works as it should. I'm just curious to know why there is a difference.

Anyone else experience this?

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I don't have any redhawks, but I have noticed the same thing with gp100's and sp101's. I am guessing it is just slight differences in manufacturing tolerances. The pawl might be just a smidge taller on your .45colt, or the ratchet on the ejector could be a bit wider. The cylinders of your redhawks should be the same width and length, just different size holes bored in them. The .45colt cylinder should weigh less.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
If anything, your .45 cylinder should be lighter, as more metal was removed for the .452" holes than for the .429" holes in the .44 cylinder. Assuming both have the same outside dimension, of course, which I think is a pretty safe assumption. This is one reason some folks prefer .44s: More "meat" in the cylinder.

I have noticed the bolt movement in some Redhawks is more "aggressive" than in other examples.

-- Sam