Redhawk takedown issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mc89

Bearcat
I have tried to strip my Ruger Redhawk down as explained in Ruger's YouTube video. When I try to pull out the takedown pin for the trigger group, the pin refuses to move. Anybody ever have this problem before?

RRM

Single-Sixer
Have a SRH, and I had no issues. Do you have all spring tension relieved? That would be what jumps out at me.

And if so, did you "nudge it" with a brass punch pin and brass hammer?

NikA

Buckeye
I had one that was forced together from the factory and was so tight the pin was bent. I think I had to use pliers to pull it the first time; I replaced it with a new pin provided by Ruger and haven't had issues since.

Rum River

Bearcat
My hands have lost a lot of strength/dexterity. When I deal with this I end up wrapping a bit of leather around the pin and use a pliers. Somewhat awkward - but it works for me.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I think mine had a problem like that the first time I took it apart. I cleaned up the hole that the pin goes through. Had a burr on it.

RRM

Single-Sixer
I think mine had a problem like that the first time I took it apart. I cleaned up the hole that the pin goes through. Had a burr on it.

That was the other thing I was going to suggest. I had a large metal shaving left hanging from the hole the trigger return travels thru. I "think" it was interfering with the spring. Regardless, it certainly could have gotten in the spring and jammed the return. Sloppy QC because it was easily visible when I disassembled the gun.

bvd1

Single-Sixer
I had one where I could not remove the pin and Ruger sent me a new gun. They paid shipping both ways.