Redhawk snubby round butt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
giphy_s.gif
Is that a picture of you?

Cholo

Staff member
I remember a volume dealer at a gun show had one for $775 + tax when they first came out. I really liked it but passed because it didn't have a 3" barrel. I passed over 1/2" LOL

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
My Milt Sparks PMK holster for the short Redhawk finally arrived, and I've used the holster a few times. It's great while doing tractor work.
I have found very few gun/holster combinations that don't feel like a brick on your hip when using a tractor.
This setup is comfortable, and doesn't interfere with the various seats on my tractors.
The combination IS heavy, my gun belt is reinforced with a thin strip of polymer between the two layers of leather.
The quoted wait time was absolutely out of control, way over the original. I may need to change holster makers.
This one is cowhide with elephant trim, MS wouldn't make it in horsehide.

IMG_20220825_131200319_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131124413_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131003828_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130605243_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130430110_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
My Milt Sparks PMK holster for the short Redhawk finally arrived, and I've used the holster a few times. It's great while doing tractor work.
I have found very few gun/holster combinations that don't feel like a brick on your hip when using a tractor.
This setup is comfortable, and doesn't interfere with the various seats on my tractors.
The combination IS heavy, my gun belt is reinforced with a thin strip of polymer between the two layers of leather.
The quoted wait time was absolutely out of control, way over the original. I may need to change holster makers.
This one is cowhide with elephant trim, MS wouldn't make it in horsehide.

IMG_20220825_131200319_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131124413_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131003828_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130605243_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130430110_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
I like that holster!

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
I noticed when doing some after hunting season gun cleaning recently that my short barrel Ruger Redhawk Backpacker had the beginnings of some light corrosion under the upper edges of the Hogue one piece slip-on rubber grips. (up near the hammer pivot pin, both sides)
I must have sweat on the stainless steel revolver during tractor usage and lawn mowing at my rural recreational property this past summer.
So I made an attempt to get the somewhat permanently installed one piece rubber grips off the grip frame and address the very slight corrosion.
I do wipe guns off with at least a silicone cloth, and sometimes an oily rag after carrying them.
But you can't get under the one piece slip-on rubber grips practically.

I cut a small wooden wedge and attempted to slide the one piece slip-on rubber grips off of the round butt grip frame.

Unfortunately, the Hogue rubber grips tore during the removal process.
I received the factory wood grips with the revolver when I acquired it, but the Hogue one piece rubber grips were installed by the previous owner.
I simply installed the OEM round butt wooden two piece grips (with the screw connecting them) and called it good.
I'm using a mild .44 magnum reload in this revolver, recoil shouldn't be an issue.
But I haven't shot it since the wood grips were installed.

It appears the factory wood round butt grips are made by Altamont, as they seem to be the only grip maker listing Ruger Redhawk round butt replacement grips. If anybody knows a source of Redhawk round butt G10 grips, let me know.
I would also settle for a two piece rubber grip, with a screw attachment.

I can't recommend the Hogue one piece rubber grips because they aren't readily removable for maintenance/rust prevention.
However, they surely will make a huge difference with felt recoil when using heavy .44 Magnum ammunition.

Link: https://beta.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/redhawk-rd

fuzzyedge

Bearcat
I noticed when doing some after hunting season gun cleaning recently that my short barrel Ruger Redhawk Backpacker had the beginnings of some light corrosion under the upper edges of the Hogue one piece slip-on rubber grips. (up near the hammer pivot pin, both sides)
I must have sweat on the stainless steel revolver during tractor usage and lawn mowing at my rural recreational property this past summer.
So I made an attempt to get the somewhat permanently installed one piece rubber grips off the grip frame and address the very slight corrosion.
I do wipe guns off with at least a silicone cloth, and sometimes an oily rag after carrying them.
But you can't get under the one piece slip-on rubber grips practically.

I cut a small wooden wedge and attempted to slide the one piece slip-on rubber grips off of the round butt grip frame.

Unfortunately, the Hogue rubber grips tore during the removal process.
I received the factory wood grips with the revolver when I acquired it, but the Hogue one piece rubber grips were installed by the previous owner.
I simply installed the OEM round butt wooden two piece grips (with the screw connecting them) and called it good.
I'm using a mild .44 magnum reload in this revolver, recoil shouldn't be an issue.
But I haven't shot it since the wood grips were installed.

It appears the factory wood round butt grips are made by Altamont, as they seem to be the only grip maker listing Ruger Redhawk round butt replacement grips. If anybody knows a source of Redhawk round butt G10 grips, let me know.
I would also settle for a two piece rubber grip, with a screw attachment.

I can't recommend the Hogue one piece rubber grips because they aren't readily removable for maintenance/rust prevention.
However, they surely will make a huge difference with felt recoil when using heavy .44 Magnum ammunition.

Link: https://beta.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/redhawk-rd
if you message me your address ill send you a couple round butt redhawk grip options, on me, just laying in a drawer

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
Member fuzzyedge sent me a care package. It arrived today. Ruger Redhawk round butt grips.
Two of the Hogue slip on rubber grips, and two assorted Pachmayr two piece grips with screw attachment.
The Pachmayr, one is finger grooves, the other without.
Thank You very much fuzzyedge!

I remember a volume dealer at a gun show had one for $775 + tax when they first came out. I really liked it but passed because it didn't have a 3" barrel. I passed over 1/2" LOL
Cholo, that's what she said!

Actually my take on this thread is… I had one of the Redhawks with the round butt. It was too small of a grip for my hand. Didn't work for me that way. Now the Alaskan, I like the grip.
Now the short barrel has 2 things going for it. The longer barreled guns are hard on the wrist because of the torque, plus you have extra muzzle flip, and both of these things are because the barrel is long enough to get the most speed out of the bullet, hence the torque and flip.
The good news is with the short barrel you don't get that. You can shoot a pretty hot load and not deal with the negatives.
Yet you have enough to get the job done.

Cholo

Staff member
LOL I've never shot a 3" or less 44 Mag. It's interesting that the torque would be noticeably different. I guess I've just never thought of it.

I guess I'll never find out because a friend offered me his mint 3" 629-4 and I passed.

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
^^^^^ @ Bear Paw Jack,
The Ruger Redhawk Pachmayr square butt rubber grips actually fit on the Ruger Redhawk round butt grip frame quite nicely.
The Pachmayr "Presentation" grip is quite hand filling.

IMG_20240127_190540830_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20240127_190502103_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Pachmayr "Presentation" mounted on the Redhawk revolver.
Bottom row from the left.
Hogue one piece slip on.
Factory Ruger wood round butt likely manufactured by Altamont.
Pachmayr "Gripper" fits round butt grip frame nicely also, but it's a little bit longer top to bottom in length compared to the "Presentation" model..
Hogue one piece slip on.
I used the Factory Ruger plastic lower grip frame locator button with both Pachmayr square butt grips.
Thanks again to Ruger Forum Member fuzzyedge!

Latest posts