Redhawk snubby round butt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I just ran across an auction for this unusual Redhawk, apparently a Talo offering, now discontinued. 2 3/4" barrel,round butt with wood grips.05028 on the box.
Are these rare? They are asking a lot!

hittman

Staff member
What caliber is it?

They still offer the same thing in 357 Mag and MSRP is in the $1350 range!

EDIT … As I think about this, I wonder if it's the one they called Backpacker and 44 Mag.

NikA

Buckeye
This is the "Backpacker" model. As I recall, they were a regular catalog item (at least a multi-year distributor run) in .44M, with limited distributor runs in .41M and .45LC. I think the .357M 8-shot is more or less identical in appearance but was never given the "Backpacker" name.

I don't remember them selling all that well when they were commonly available, sort of like SRH in .454 they were often available with minimal use and partial boxes of ammo...

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
IMG_20211119_112205414 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20211119_112121028 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

I sourced this one here on this Forum last fall. It was a trade only deal, and I happened to have the trade the previous owner wanted.
I've shot it enough over the winter to ensure it was accurate and reliable. (it is)
I've been waiting over 20 weeks now for the Milt Sparks holster I ordered for the 05028.
The holster I ordered is a semi-custom unit for CCW usage and I even splurged a little bit.
Cordovan with dark grey Elephant trim.
According to the Milt Sparks ordering information, the quoted wait time was 20 to 26 weeks when ordered, so I am almost there!

It came to me with the Hogue rubber grip installed. The factory wood grips were included with the trade deal, but it seems the only practical way to remove the Hogue rubber one piece grip is cutting it with a razor knife and I have been reluctant to do so.
Hogue has the install directions on their website, but looking at the construction, removal appears impractical except via cutting it.
Nothing on the Hogue website for the removal of the rubber one piece grip.
The factory wood grips look better, and the rubber Hogue one piece shoots better.
Decisions... Decisions...

I worked up a .44 magnum reload using magnum cases, Hodgdon CFE Pistol Powder, and Hornady 200 grain XTP projectiles.
I'm using the recommended starting load, so it's roughly equivalent to a HOT .44 Special load.

fuzzyedge

Bearcat
I believe this grip will pull off if you soak it in hot water for a couple minutes. i have done install and removal of the round butt bantam grip.

Last edited:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Nice, although I think I'd stick with shooting .44 SPLs if I had one. I prefer to shoot .44 Mag through a levergun.
Ditto that!
As a hand loader, I like to make up what I call "-P" magnums. They are hotter than specials , but less than magnums. More than 800-900 fps, but less than 1100-1200 fps. They shoot flatter and clang steel hard, but are not punishing.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer

Full book load of H110 pushing a 240gr JHP. Yes---it is a handful of fun!!!
With a chest rig like that, a four inch barrel would be more practical. I never saw much use for a massive framed revolver behind a snub nosed barrel.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
"With a chest rig like that, a four inch barrel would be more practical. I never saw much use for a massive framed revolver behind a snub nosed barrel."

I have Redhawks in multiple barrel lengths---one reason for the open toe on the holster, it will take all of them. I have to say though that the 9.5" is a little awkward in this holster, but the 4", 5.5" and even 7.5" ride pretty comfortably in it.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
"With a chest rig like that, a four inch barrel would be more practical. I never saw much use for a massive framed revolver behind a snub nosed barrel."

I have Redhawks in multiple barrel lengths---one reason for the open toe on the holster, it will take all of them. I have to say though that the 9.5" is a little awkward in this holster, but the 4", 5.5" and even 7.5" ride pretty comfortably in it.
I don't think anyone should be put in the position of defending a firearm choice.
"Practicality " is an offering of unsolicited advice.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I don't think anyone should be put in the position of defending a firearm choice.
giphy_s.gif

Latest posts