Redhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
I took my new Redhawk 45/45 to work last week to show the guys. One of them asked a question that I could not answer. He wanted to know if there was a similar setup for a double action 357/38 which can also fire 9mm ammo using moon clips. Any help would be appreciated. :?:

Kanook

Buckeye
These people would be where I would ask http://www.tkcustom.com/

tinman

Buckeye
Been searching with very little in the way of results.....and yes I know that I could have one built.....but I was hoping for a production gun. I just sent a note to the Ruger folks. Maybe they have already considered it......we will wait and see. :idea:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The 9mm cartridge is shaped different and as such would require a separate cylinder. It is seen in single-action guns where the cylinder is easy to change but not in double-actions guns.

Thel

Blackhawk
As Jimbo357 notes the 9mm case is differently shaped. It is tapered whereas the .357 or .38 is not. As some of the conversions to moonclips note firing a case in a cylinder that has been modified to shoot 9mm could lead to ruptured cases or at best ones that are not reloadable. Only way I see one could produce a revolver to fire both types would be as noted by others to offer multiple cylinders. Problem is that one must strip down the Rugers to get the cylinder out. On a S&W one need only remove a screw on the sideplate that retains the cylinder so it could be changed quickly.

tinman

Buckeye
Thel said:
As Jimbo357 notes the 9mm case is differently shaped. It is tapered whereas the .357 or .38 is not. As some of the conversions to moonclips note firing a case in a cylinder that has been modified to shoot 9mm could lead to ruptured cases or at best ones that are not reloadable. Only way I see one could produce a revolver to fire both types would be as noted by others to offer multiple cylinders. Problem is that one must strip down the Rugers to get the cylinder out. On a S&W one need only remove a screw on the sideplate that retains the cylinder so it could be changed quickly.

Not being a reloader I did not know that. Thanks for the info......guess I will be looking at the BH convertible after all.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Thel said:

It's only a matter of pulling the grip screw and depressing the plunger on the Ruger DA's too. It's quick on Ruger's too.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I just realized that this says "Redhawk Question"...

There were only about 5,000 Redhawks made in .357mag, so they ain't easy to find. Then, on top of the rarity, if you want a convertible Redhawk, as mentioned, you have to get a spare cylinder and crane assembly, meaning you have to buy ANOTHER .357mag Redhawk. It's largely cost prohibitive to do so, because you have to buy two rare .357mag Redhawks, then you have to be willing to send 80% of a perfectly good Redhawk to the scrap heap and have the spare cylinder assembly machined to 9mm to have a convertible Redhawk, AND then you have a really ugly 357mag chamber in front of a 9mm chamber, and have to take the gun apart (quick, but not mindless) to change cartridges...

How do I know all of this? I have a Convertible Redhawk - but it's not a 9mm/357mag...