Redhawk or Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dead Hogs

Bearcat
I can"t decide which 45Colt Ruger to buy, a 4" Ruger Redhawk or a 5.5" Blackhawk convertible. The gun would be used as a sidearm, not primary weapon for hunting, woods bumming, and self defense. I would use it for targets of opportunity. I live in SC and hunt deer , hogs, etc. There are no large bears anywhere I have ever hunted but I might make some trips out west in a few years. I already have a 45ACP for self defense, so it would be nice for the ammo commonality with it. It seems like the double action Redhawk would make a better self defense gun. Does anyone have any experience with a Redhawk adapted to shoot 45ACP with moon clips. My son just bought a Blackhawk and I have been shooting it some and like it alot. I did some internet research about a Glock 20 in 10mm and that sounded like a perfect hunting/self defense gun until I picked one up, felt like a brick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

maxpress

Buckeye
a blackhawk carries so much nicer/lighte and is more accurate in my hands. fact i just traded my redhawk for a vaquero for that reason.

the convertible part is a tempting idea to. specialy since .45 colt ammo is about as scarce as an honest politician. and acp ammo is common.

ironfoot

Bearcat
You have to decide what the primary use will be. You say you already have a .45 ACP for self defense, so if this is to be a multi-use fun gun, get the convertible single action. If it is to replace your .45 ACP as a primary self defense gun, get a double action revolver.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
How close are you with your son and does he read these boards? When I got my .45 conv. Blackhawk, I went right out and picked one up for my dad. If you play your cards right, you might get both. :wink:

Dead Hogs

Bearcat
For the time being I can shoot his Blackhawk any time I want. When he gets out of college he will keep the gun with him. I all ready have a SW29 in 44mag but it has the 8 3/8" bbl so I want something more portable and quicker into play. Hogs and bad guys can both move fast.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Dead Hogs":3qq1nev4 said:
I can"t decide which 45Colt Ruger to buy, a 4" Ruger Redhawk or a 5.5" Blackhawk convertible. The gun would be used as a sidearm, not primary weapon for hunting, woods bumming, and self defense. I would use it for targets of opportunity. I live in SC and hunt deer , hogs, etc. There are no large bears anywhere I have ever hunted but I might make some trips out west in a few years. I already have a 45ACP for self defense, so it would be nice for the ammo commonality with it. It seems like the double action Redhawk would make a better self defense gun. Does anyone have any experience with a Redhawk adapted to shoot 45ACP with moon clips. My son just bought a Blackhawk and I have been shooting it some and like it alot. I did some internet research about a Glock 20 in 10mm and that sounded like a perfect hunting/self defense gun until I picked one up, felt like a brick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would go with the Blackhawk. You have more options and you will not find a more accurate revolver for the money.

Good luck,
roaddog

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
The BH convertable is a good choice for your needs, light weight, powerfull & versitile.....
MYGUNS353.jpg

Heck, it works not bad on paper & tin cans too,...dance Mother sucker, dance. :lol:
myguns386.jpg

MK111

Bearcat
I would go with the Blackhawk conertible. I carried the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" in Alaska everyday for three weeks. It was just too heavy for a holster gun for extended use. I came back and sold it.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I'd take the Blackhawk for any hunting below grizzly. The Redhawk for greater power. The RH is available in .44Mag and .45Colt, and you can launch a .45 Colt 325 hard-cast @ 1375 fps...safely. Take your pick. The RH is also heavier and meatier. If you want a lighter trail gun for everyday use, take the BH. You can't go wrong with either. Of course, one is double-action; one isn't, and the RH has much harder trigger pull in single-action mode. Make sure you handle them both before choosing.
Sonnytoo

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
Both guns are excellent. The Blackhawk will be easier & lighter to carry. Getting one in the convertable allows the ease of using the 45 ACP ammo. Getting a Redhawk modified to use moonclips can be done, but between the cost differences in the 2 guns,, then add the custom work to the Redhawk, and the cost of moonclips, you'll be money ahead getting the Blackhawk.
The S&W M29 is a great DA gun,, so since you already have that,, I'd lean towards a Blackhawk in a shorter barrel,, (4-5/8".) It's quick & handy.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I'm partial to the 4 5/8 Blackhawk but I don't care for the aluminum grip frames and ejector housings... I like the way they feel when they're all steel.

I even think some Day I'll have a stainless Super Blackhawk in 4 5/8.

I had many Vaqueros and Blackhawks in various barrel lengths... my vote goes for the rugged stainless steel models.

If you said this gun had to do double-duty I would hands down say to buy a new Redhawk 4-inch 45Colt... I have one on Lay-a-way. :wink:

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
Dead Hogs":3kvlfhzg said:
I can"t decide which 45Colt Ruger to buy, a 4" Ruger Redhawk or a 5.5" Blackhawk convertible.

Unless there's something about having a double action that you really need/want, I'd go for the 5.5" Blackhawk convertible. I just bought one in an Accusport configuration (stainless steel and a Bisley Grip) and am really, really pleased with it.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
For serious self defense I prefer the DA gun. Also, the RH can be loaded with longer bullets if you chose them carefully and you have more boiler room left in the case ...... and the RH is definitely stronger than the SHB.

That said, the SBH convertible is more versatile.

You've got yourself quite a little decision to make.

Enjoy which ever gun you finally decide upon.

Three 44s

Dead Hogs

Bearcat
Ya'll have many excellent points. Ruger's website shows the 4" redhawk weighing 2 ounces more than a 5 1/2 " convertible so weight is not a factor in this case. The RH is probably eaiser to conceal and the BH is probably a better hunter. My quandary continues.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
For packing purposes as a general woods gun, range use, hunting, or general plinking, I really like the BH. I think a 4 5/8" barrel is a little better carrying than a 5.5" but the difference is negligible.

If you need DA, the RH is a good revolver, but it is generally no S&W for dedicated DA use. In 45 Colt, it can be handloaded up a good bit hotter than the BH (generally around 50K psi vs. 32K psi level loads in the BH), but that isn't something you'll likely need and I imagine mean to shoot in a 4" gun.

Re: the 10MM -- not a bad choice at ALL for your stated purpose if you prefer autos. It is a cartridge that can be handloaded up to real power levels, duplicating the early Norma ammo, in the right gun. But that isn't a Glock. And you are right, it is a brick and I don't think it can take a lot of the *original* 10MM power level loads. Look around for a good used S&W 1006 if you want a 10mm. Several of those have hit the market here the last few years. They are a solid, durable pistol that can take the heavy 10mm loads and keep going. My handloads are 180 Hornady HP/XTPs at 1227fps (it can be loaded a little hotter with a heavier slide spring; I use early 10MM data references before it's FBI downloading became the norm). Plus, they carry very well and the TDA action is a plus for field use.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I have a 7 1/2" Blackhawk and a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt. I like both, but I love the Redhawk more. I have changed the mainspring to a 13 lb Wolff spring, and throated the cylinder. The new mainspring required a change from Winchester primers to Federal. Winchester primers are too hard for anything but the factory spring in a Redhawk. But with the primer change, it is 100% reliable and the trigger action is excellent in both double and single action. It is very accurate, and quite shootable in double action. If I were to carry one of these for protection against man or beast, I'd pick the Redhawk.
I seem to hold the minority opinion here.

Dead Hogs

Bearcat
Well with all the good points everyone brought up it may just boil down to how much $ is in the toy fund when I just can't stand it any longer and head to the local gun store to buy a new handgun.