Redhawk--Most popular barrel length??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I have had all 3, and I now own two 5 1/2" guns. Not sure if they are most popular, but they seem to be the most popular in MY safe. :D I am starting to like that barrel length best in all of my guns.

The 7 1/2" and 4" guns are gone. It really depends on what you want to use them for, and which one YOU like the best.

tom32

Bearcat
I like the 5.5" more than the 7.5". Although it defies logic, my 5.5" 45 Colt has a trigger that leaves some to be desired, but is the most accurate revolver I own.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
I used to have a 5.5 inch, but switched to the 4 inch when they came out in .45 Colt.

Redhawk003.jpg

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I would prefer the RH in .45 Colt, 4", although mine is .44 Mag. I shoot it well; it is an accurate gun, even with a tough trigger pull. Of course, so far I have not worked on the trigger, only complained about it.
:) sonnytoo

tek4260

Buckeye
KurtC":3ap0u1qg said:
I used to have a 5.5 inch, but switched to the 4 inch when they came out in .45 Colt.

Redhawk003.jpg

Tell me about this gun. How did you go about fitting a SRH cylinder into a RH. First one I have seen like this.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Hey tek4260, good pickup on that .454 RH conversion by KurtC. New front sight insert also. Looks like .454 ammo would be a tight squeeze, but a few of the factory loads look okay.
My .44Mag cylinder measures 1.755" OAL. The SRH cylinder is the same length as RH cylinder although SRH cylinder o.d. is larger by .01" @ 1.79".
I am also interested in how he fitted the cylinder and what loadings he uses in this gun. Impressive.
Sonnytoo

KurtC

Single-Sixer
The cylinder dropped right in. Tight lockup and perfect timing. When Hamilton Bowen did the front sight and round butt, I asked him to check out everything with the cylinder as well.

I really don't need the .454, but I love unfluted cylinders. 8) Maybe Ruger will see this and pick up on the idea.

Redhawk002.jpg

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Hey KurtC:
Wow, that is nice. Thanks for the pix. The roundbutt is nice also. I have a very nice .44 Maggie RH but would prefer the .45 Colt.
If Hamilton did the work, then you can believe you got some good work. His stuff is not cheap, but it certainly is excellent quality. I've been in his shop and I know his work and enjoy his autographed book "The Custom Revolver." Nice guy besides.
Good for you. Enjoy it.
Sonnytoo

raven5

Bearcat
Here's mine. Did it last year. Pics aren't that great, but mine is a 5.5", you just saw the 4" version of this conversion, and I believe it was Instigator that did it in 7.5". I think my 5.5" looks the best. :wink: :lol:

Redhawk454-1.jpg

Redhawk454_2-2.jpg

raven5

Bearcat
I haven't fully wrung mine out yet (too many projects and too little funds) but it is good for any .454 loads. Bowen will make a 5-shot conversion for you with a custom cylinder, but he'll also fit a .454 SRH cylinder to a Redhawk as well. Remember, these cylinders are made of special carpenter steel that will take the extra punishment and allow 6 holes and still maintain adequate strength, while Bowen's and others are made out of 17-4 stainless. Incredibly strong in it's own right, but not quite carpenter's levels.

I'm sure Instigator will chime in. His 7.5" conversion was my inspiration. I believe he has fired full-house loads, but not positive. Personally for me, I like the Redhawk frame better than the SRH and the unfluted look as well.

I do have a .480 Ruger cylinder waiting for this same type of conversion. :D

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Myself, I would think the 5-1/2" barrel to be a very popular length, and the minimum length for anyone desiring to pursue handgun hunting with it.

Although I have the 4" barreled 44 Magnum...mainly for backwoods carry. I have no complaints with this reveolver - very satisfied.

Regards,

MD

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Racklover":wg9wpwzr said:
Where does one find the SRH cylinder?

The factory doesn't sell them to us mortals, so you have to find a take-off from from a SRH that has been converted to another cartridge.

Some possible sources:

1. The usual auction sites.
2. Post WTB ad on various forums.
3. The smiths doing such work (Bowen, Clements, etc)
4. Contact the owner whenever they post a pic of their converted SRH.

Hope this helps.

I've been thinking about doing this - putting a SRH cylinder in my Redhawk. I too think it's a good look. I have the cylinder and the tool to disassemble the cylinder from the crane but I just haven't done it. This has got me excited about this project again.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
It does look really good, plus it pretty much settles those who still hold out any concerns about a Redhawk's ability to fire " Ruger Only Loads" 8) .