Redhawk grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Do current production stainless Redhawks have the same rubber grip that they did, say, a couple of years ago, or did Ruger go with a different maker/style?

I believe the current one is a Hogue, and I'm wondering if it's the same one I have on my Redhawk, which is a couple of years old. I handled one of the .45 Colt RHs at a show recently, and the grip felt different, at least at the time, from my RH. Also, I note that at least the aftermarket Hogues have the funky little clip for mounting from the bottom of the grip, and mine don't use that. Grip frame is visible at the bottom of the grip, as well as having an open backstrap.

Just curious. Thanks,

-- Sam

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Redhawks came with factory wood grips. Ruger has started going to Hogue for all their grips. Now it was the Super Redhawk that came with rubber grips with wood inserts before they also changed to Hogue's.

Becarful when you are buying a new gun. I have seen some dealers change grips and/or accessory packages so they can sell the parts and make more money. One of my local dealers received one of the last shipments of GP-100 with the old style grips. He changed them for Hogues and then sold the grips on ebay. He never did lower the price for buyers. I stoped using him after I saw that.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
So, it's likely that if I have a 4" Redhawk with factory rubber grips, they are the same rubber grips that are used on current production?

I'm definitely the 2nd owner of my gun, it was bought within the last two years (maybe just last year), and it came with factory rubber grips.

Thanks,

-- Sam

Knuckles

Buckeye
Yosemite Sam":13ekv1pm said:
So, it's likely that if I have a 4" Redhawk with factory rubber grips, they are the same rubber grips that are used on current production?

I'm definitely the 2nd owner of my gun, it was bought within the last two years (maybe just last year), and it came with factory rubber grips.

Thanks,

-- Sam

The factory 4" Redhawks have and still do come with a unique grip shape... not to be confused with the Rubber grips Hogue has had available for years.

The old and still available Hogue rubber replacement grips are attached by a screw on the bottom of the grip which make the "old" version grips longer.

I think that made sense. :?

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Current 4" Redhawks come with a Hogue grip that does not use a screw to fasten it to the frame. Is is a snug interference fit. This grip is comfortable and concealable. There is also an aftermarket Hogue grip that uses the screw. It is larger and much less concealable. I prefer Ruger wooden grips on my Redhawk.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
I wish Ruger had put the same grip frame on the Redhawk as they did on the super Redhawk. With the rubber grips with the wood inserts, they are the most comfortable for me when shooting heavy loads. With the same .44 loads, I shoot my son's SRH better than my RH. I've tried several different rubber grips on my Redhawk and haven't found one I like. I love the gun and carry it with the original wood grips, but I keep the power level dialed down a bit.

The GP-100 with the rubber and inserts makes the .357 easy to shoot. Is the grip frame on the current GP-100's still the post style so you can use the older grips?