Redhawk grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sluggo

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and I'm experimenting with grips. The gun came with Pachmayer Grippers on it. My hands are very average in size. The Grippers felt deep but narrow in width if you know what I mean. The other day I picked up a set of Hogue Monogrips and a set of Pachmayer Presentation grips. I liked the tacky feel of the Hogue's and they look cool but the grip would move in my hand just a little which I didn't really like plus again the grip felt narrow. The Pachmayer Presentation grips give a fuller in the hand feel which I like so I may stop my search right there.

I've not tried any of the custom wood grips but I thought I'd get opinions on if I should even bother or not. I know the custom wood grips would look pretty darn sweet but I'm guessing they would deliver a sharper whack to your hand than the rubber Pachmayers. Any thoughts on the pluses or minuses of the custom wood grips that are available.

Anyone else find that the Pachmayer Presentation grips give a better "full hand" feel?

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I use Pachmayer Presentation grips on my 51/2 44 mag Redhawk and like them alot. I prefer them over the stock wood grips.

DLH

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Howdy sluggo,

Welcome to the forum.

The Hogue wood grips are a bit thicker than the rubber model. They are a little fuller in the hand. But, because they are made of various woods, they don't have that tacky feel of the rubber models.

I find the Pachmayr Gripper exactly the same as you do, a bit narrow, slab sided, rectangular around the middle. And, I also like the Pachmayr Presentation a bit better albeit it tends to put my hand position a bit further back and up than I normally want.

Grips are a very personal thing. Very much about choice.

oldgoat46

Bearcat
The Pacmeyer presentations are to me the best of the lot. I have average sized hands as well and those worked out best. Less sharp feel to the recoil as well.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I prefer the Regular wood grips. I did not like the Hogue grips with the open backstrap, they seemed, like you said, too narrow and too deep. The wood grips feel very much like Bisley grips to me and that's what I like. ...And besides the wood looks really good. :D

Redhawk75.jpg

Bisley-44-1.jpg

...JImbo

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I like the wood grips. I get very little recoil out of the Redhawk. Probably because it weighs 87 1/2 pounds.
But it is accurate and can serve as my go-to gun for serious heavy-duty.
sonnytoo

contender

Ruger Guru
It all depends upon what fits YOUR hand, not someone elses hands. I like some of the rubber grips on certain guns as they feel & fit me better. I even took my pet T/C Contender with a set of Pachmyer Grippers on it & custom ground off a little rubber here & there to fit MY hand. It shoots like a pussycat compared to the wood factory's now.
Get what fits YOU.

happy1

Bearcat
I've got the Pachmayer Presentation grips on my Redhawk and I've got small hands. Really like'em when I put a 300 grainer down the tube

sluggo

Bearcat
Sounds like the Pachmayr Presentation grips are getting the most positive feedback. Of the 3 rubber grips I've tried that is my choice as well. I will have to do some shaving of the rubber right behind the trigger guard where the halves come together. It's definitely rubbing on my middle finger as i practive with the gun in front of the TV every night. So far the wife hasn't put the stop to that yet.

I might have to pick up a set of custom wood grips too. They just look to dang sweet.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Go with the Tyler T-Grips... they take nothing away from the natural good looks of the Redhawk and make handling 100% better.

Here's one of our feelow Ruger Forum Members pics'

RugerRhawkTgrip.jpg

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
As others have said, it is an individual choice, whats right for me may not be for you. Having said that, I replaced the factory Hogue 'Bantam' grips on my 4" Redhawk with Pachmayer Presentation grips. I've been partial to these since the early 80's, when I put a set on my S&W 586 duty gun.

Try a few different designs and decide what feels best. For those you don't like, there's always ... Karma! :mrgreen:

Jeff

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
I have tried everything I can find as Redhawk replacement grips. Hogue both Pachmyers, Tyler T, if it's made I tried it. None of them fit my hand exactly how I like. What I use most is the Pach presentation for heavy loads and the Tyler T, if I am planning on shooting 80% loads. All of my other revolvers seem to have grips that work.... for me, your results may vary.

Jeff

Knuckles

Buckeye
Maybe he could get a set of Factory Rubbers that come standard on the 4" Redhawk.

They're kind of too big (front to back) for my small hand but they are a very good design.

sluggo

Bearcat
Finally got a chance to shoot the Redhawk with the Pachmayer Presentation grips and I like em. It felt like I had better control and seemed to spread the recoil out better on the hand. Group size shrunk a bit too but that might just be me getting a little better at shooting it. Managed a 1.9" 4 shot group at 50 yards with the Remington 180gr UMC loads. I'll take that any day of the week.

Latest posts