Redhawk Cocking problems?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Ok, here is a new one to me. I just got a brand new (but made in 2002) Redhawk. When I tried to cock the gun, the hammer will go about half way back and then stop... then I have to give it a much harder pull to get it all the way cocked!

Can this be because it sat around and dried up over the last 7-8 years? Is it probably just a matter of needing a drop of oil here or there or could it be more?

Fit and finish is pretty nice compared to some of the newest Redhawks I've seen. This one is Blued.

What do you think?

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Are you sure it's new? Reason I ask is that I bought a "new" 5.5" Redhawk awhile back. It looked new, felt new, even smelled new.

Until I saw the box............. which the previous owner was nice enough to include a cleaning cloth. Pretty sure Ruger doesn't give free cleaning cloths with their guns. ;)

Nothing was wrong with it, but someone did own it before me even though it was advertised as new.

Anyway, it could be gunked up. Try some oil first. The only other thing I can think of is that someone took it apart and put it back together wrong.

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Yeah its new for sure. I can tell the transfer bar has never been hit even. At least it sure dont show it! No Wear to any of the parts..... maybe its just really dry. I guess I can take the grips off and look around and get some oil out.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I would strip it down and flush everything out real good and re-lube. I had a Ruger or two that were full of metal chips and debris. That plus you are most likely correct about it being dry or gummed up.

deac45

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you don't want to take it apart you can soak or flush it with Mineral Spirits and then use a spray lube like Rem oil sprayed into the openings to lube the internals.

By chance is the transfer bar hitting the firing pin when you cock the hammer? The little plunger and spring that pushes the transfer bar back can get sticky. :D

...Jimbo

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I'll check several of the above ideas. It seems to do it only on one or two cylinders! I can't SEE that the cylinder touches or anything though!?

And the first place I would look...Under the extractor star. It's amazing how the tiniest bit of powder or other grit, under the extractor, will lock these revolvers up, tight as a drum.

WAYNO.

Pal Val

Buckeye
My first suspect when a long-stored gun fails is dried up excess lubricants. More so if it was never fired. Ruger delivers its guns loaded with grease that can turn cement-solid over time. This could have affected the mechanism is a variety of ways, from "lifting" the extractor, to a balky transfer bar.

Remove the grips, give the gun a thorough spraying with cleaning solvent and then apply a light coat of gun oil in the working parts. This could be all you need. Don't be surprised to see all kinds of junk coming out of the works. That's what the cleaning is for.