Redhawk, 5.5" or 7.5"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rtl

Single-Sixer
Looking for a .44 Redhawk for iron sighted hunting..and just fun plinking of course. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,
rt

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I sold my 7.5 and bought the 5.5 a couple of years ago.

The why? The fraction of a second faster draw might make a difference if a griz was charging, but I don't think it would make much difference in accuracy.

DLH

63November

Single-Sixer
In part, it depends on your eyes. Some folks will be able to see the rear but not the front as well with one or the other. Younger folks may find either to work as well as the other due to more flexible eyes. In theory, the longer sight radius (length) of the longer barrel should be more accurate. Each person really needs to decide for themselves. I shoot the shorter - 4.625- 5.5 inch barrels better than longer ones; they also seem to handle better to me. A close friend who is equally capable and successful prefers a 7.5 inch barrel, and even longer never hurts according to him. It truly is up to you, and your preference may change with age and experience.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
7.5" for the sight radius, slightly less muzzle blast, flip and "percieved" recoil and a few extra fps. IMO, 44 mags like as much barrel as they can get ballistically speakin' and I personally wouldn't want a .44 any shorter than 5.5". A 5.5 packs a little handier for a lot of folks. I'm used to a 7.5" and don't give it any thought. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice......Dennis (Who likes loooong barrels. If I miss my one or two shots at a charging grizz, I'll bash it on the noggin like Wyatt Earp!) :wink:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have both and the 5.5-inch Redhawk is a much easier to carry revolver and I like how it feels shooting. Mine is a 45 Colt and it is far more capable them I am but I am getting better.

If I am shooting irons, I prefer the 5.5-inch. My 7.5-inch guns are all "R" models and I use that with the scope mounted.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Think about carrying that long-barreled sucker around. Heavy! And cumbersome. IMHO. Now, if you put a scope on it and use it for long-distance jacks or something, that's just fine. Shoot off the hood of your pickup.
My bud keeps buying 7 1/2" Rugers and sending them off to get the barrels cut to 5". I don't even enjoy lifting his long barrels.
The whole thing is personal opinion. You may wish to visit a good gunshop where you can heft both barrel-lengths and that will answer your question for you.
Good luck to you.
Sonnytoo

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have a 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt and found that I carried it far more often than my 7.5" 44 Magnum. I liked being able to mount a scope on the 44, but it became a bit heavy and cumbersome for the close in conditions I like for handgun hunting, where open sights work just fine. If I want something scoped these days, I usually take a Contender. I just recently traded the 44 on a second Lipsey's 44 Special Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel. I think one of those in a Tom Threepersons and a decent handload is going to be a favorite big bore woodswalking gun very soon.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I carry my SRH in a X-15 Bianchi shoulder rig that pretty much fits most of my long barreled revolvers and have no real problems. However I could see a regular belt type holster being a little tough.

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
Had both 7.5 and 5.5, the 5.5 is the one I prefer. I can't point to any one thing that I like about 5.5 more than the 7.5. It is a lot of little things that make me prefer the 5.5 including I just think they are better looking. It is all a matter of taste and what fits you.

Buy both and sell the one you like the least... or keep it....

Jeff

Knuckles

Buckeye
I had a Redhawk 45Colt 7.5" w/scope mounts... sold it to a person in Alaska because I thought the Super Blackhawk "Hunter" was the better way to go.

I was going to get the same thing in a 5.5" bbl but would have to find one used or old stock 'cause Ruger dropped the 45-Colt caliber Redhawk.

Ruger mixed things up on us with the 4"bbl rubber-griped Redhawk and I had to get one... in 45lc of course.

If I could only have one hunting/woods gun choice... it would be the 5.5" Redhawk 45lc.