Redhawk 45lc

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smee781

Single-Sixer
Well it finally happened, I finally got my Redhawk in 45lc with a 7 1/2 barrel off of layway at my local pusher's, now if I can find some time (and ammo) to go and shoot it. I still need to measure the cylinder to see if it needs to be bored out or not. I will be trying out a scope on this one to see if I like pistol hunting next year. What do ya'll say is the perfered weight for hunting med whitetail? I'm thinking about one of the listing below. I dont think I need 300 grn ammo for small/med SC whitetail deer but that is why I am asking what others think.

Grizzly Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P 260 Grain Muzzle Velocity: 1350 fps

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P 260 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point. Muzzle Velocity: 1450 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1214 ft. lbs.

Smee781

Dale53

Blackhawk
A good 250-260 gr Keith style SWC will be PLENTY for any whitetail deer. I would suggest 900-1200 fps. Nine hundred feet pretty much equals the original factory black powder loads. They will shoot through a horse at 100 yards (by comtemporary witnesses) so should do quite well on whitetail deer. Using the much better shaped bullet (SWC instead of round nose with that silly little flat on the end) the "stopping power" will be a lot better, too.

Just for the record, my deer have been taken with my cast bullets in the .44 Magnum. However, a slightly larger bullet at similar velocities will certainly do the job.

Good Hunting!
Dale53

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
A 250 grain .45 bullet at 900-1000 will do it. I've got a 5 1/2 inch Redhawk and in the fall I wouldn't hesitate if a legal moose crossed my path.

They are about horse sized after all.

tek4260

Buckeye
I have found that 325's at 1150 to 1250 are the most accurate in my 45 Blackhawks. I'll save the 260's at 1000 for my New Vaquero.

USMC Vet

Bearcat
For a jacketed bullet load, mine likes the Hornady 250 XTP using a Federal case, 23.5 grs. of IMR 4227 with a winchester lg. pistol primer.
USMC Vet

LAH

Buckeye
I like the standard weight Keith but a very interesting bullet is the Lyman Silver Star. In the Ruger move it 1100-1200. I'm not saying it's better than the Keith, only it will do the job & is very easy to cast..............Creeker

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I guess I will have to buy a sperad of different ammo and try them out this next year and see what my new girl likes. I was more worried about me taking the 300+ grn loads not the gun! I know she can handle it but I havent shot a 300+grn load out of a revolver before so I will have to try it out. I know I will be hunting out of a tree stand and will be shooting out to about 80 to 130 yrds from my position so I was thinking a 250 ish type bullet might be better, but with this years season comming to an end soon I guess I could go out and crank out a few rounds afterwards to see how she liked the bigger bullets.

tek4260

Buckeye
I would move my stand closer to the deer than the 80 to 130 yards for hunting with a pistol, scoped or not, to begin with. Unless you are an experienced handgunner :D

In all seriousness, that is a long way. My first deer this season was at 79 yards. I was shooting a 4 5/8 45 with the LBT 325's, and that is about as far as I feel comfortable shooting. But comfortable for me, is 100% sure of the placement. Not worth it to lose a deer by stretching the range.

My first year handgun hunting, I was comfortable to about 30 yards. After 4 cans of H110 this summer alone, I am comfortable to about 80-100 yards.

LAH

Buckeye
tek4260":3jn0v47m said:
I would move my stand closer to the deer than the 80 to 130 yards for hunting with a pistol, scoped or not, to begin with. Unless you are an experienced handgunner :D

In the hardwoods were I hunt 50 yards is a long ways when shooting a open sighted sixgun. Just a thought.............Creeker

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I plan to put some glass on the gun and also plan to shoot from Jan 2010 till Oct 2010 to get ready for deer season next year. I my bring in my stand some but I should be able to hone my skills in almost a years time frame for a sure broad side shot. I have access to closer stands and may sit thoes as well. I would never take a shot that I am not 100% sure I can make. I've been deer hunting for about 18 years now and am a very responsible hunter.

tek4260

Buckeye
Sorry for that response earlier. I was not implying that you were not responsible. I guess what I should have said is that I have shot pistols casually for years. I decided to try hunting and found that I had a long way to go when I actually placed a target in front of me instead of a tin can, etc. It was actually quite shocking when I placed a 2' square box at 100 yards with an 8 inch bull, and only hit the box 3 out of 6 times! And I thought I was decent before that :oops:

Wrangler John

Bearcat
Here's the way to handgun nirvana. Get a 1k cast 250 grain Keith or LBT style bullets from one of the Internet suppliers. Pick up 1k Starline brass. Purchase 8 lbs of Unique and any of the large pistol primers available. Load with 8 to 8.5 grains of Unique, this is your practice ammo. A good progressive press makes this fast - it's finding a good progressive that's the hard part. I used a single stage press for 30 years before buying a progressive. Even a LEE hand press will do. Load all 1k cartridges before proceeding to step three, meanwhile do step two:

Step two: While at home doing all that loading, put a target on a wall and dry fire the revolver during breaks. Sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, follow through. Practice two handed, standing, kneeling, prone, and off a rest. I'd sit and dry fire at TV commercials, pure psychological fun, but there's no kids in the house.

Step three: Hie thee to the range, the back yard or where ever, and shoot, shoot, shoot. Shoot at least 50 rounds at a session, concentrating on the basics. Wear ear plugs and muffs - you do not want to flinch from muzzle blast, while saving your hearing. Continue until the 1k ammo needs reloading - buy more bullets and primers. Begin again.

Do not start with the hot hunting loads - you'll just become Mr. Flinchy. You do not need a magnum level load for the .45 Colt with deer, you need the ability to place the shot well, with confidence and no flinches. I have shot IHMSA competition with a Colt New Frontier using 250 grain Hornady XTP bullets and 20 grains of 296, a heavy crimp (if you use Win296 or H110 the heavy crimp is important) and magnum primers. It knocks the 200 meter rams flat so it's accurate, and will kill a deer at 100 yards (all I got is little coast deer). To become proficient I shot twice a week, 100 rounds per gun at a time, and dry fired every day (with a Ruger not the Colt). Skill is more important than ammunition. It's a skill that lasts a lifetime.

May you fill the freezer every year! :D

bigboredad

Blackhawk
you also may want to try casting your own so you can afford to shoot as much as you plan also the style an weight of bullet much greater if you cast your own

Moki

Bearcat
and when you learn how to shoot your 45 Colt accurately you will be able with a rest to place every shot into a 8" X 10" target @ 100 yards.

As long as I do my part I can do this with 300gr XTP's @ 1200fps shooting my 5.5" Ruger Bisley Vaquero's.