Redhawk .45 ACP/LC availability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thel

Blackhawk
Glad to hear that there are some good reports on the Ruger .45 Redhawk combo! I have a Ruger .45 Blackhawk (Single Action), and it has worked flawlessly. I recently purchase a Ruger GP100, which is a .357 Mag. I will probably use it for the first time next week, and I will check out its 'hit' rate. Hopefully, it will be 100%! But I have heard that double action revolvers have more of a mis-firing issue, which is often due to the weaker striking force when the hammer comes down to hit the primer. I wonder if this is related to the trigger pull force?
First, single action revolvers have a greater hammer arc usually so would have probably a lower FTF than double actions all other things being equal. However, a double action with adequate springs should not have FTFs. What happens is usually someone puts in lower weight springs to lower trigger pull and then gets the dreaded FTFs. In this string concerned with the Ruger round butt Redhawk there is an additional factor. Redhawks have a single spring for both the hammer and trigger return unlike other DAs which have both a hammer spring and trigger return spring. Hamilton Bowen has noted problems with this sprecific design related to FTFs. Also, the specific .45 Colt/ACP model mentioned is meant to take moon clips for the .45 ACP rounds. The moon clip tends to require a heavier spring due to adding some springiness to the mix.

hittman

Staff member
Funny how we've gone from are they available to gun smithing and single action v. double action. :ROFLMAO:

contender

Ruger Guru
vlavalle, I own a few Ruger DA's,, including the Gp-100's. Very reliable. Enough so,, I used them in USPSA competition. I haven't had any issues with mine as long as I did my part. The ONLY time I had any misfires,, were my fault. I was not using factory moons, AND trying to use .40 S&W brass in a .10mm Match Champion. When I went to .10mm brass, my issue went away.
But one thing you can be sure of,, the factory mainsprings in a Ruger are plenty strong enough to ignite the ammo. Nothing weak about that.
(I now shoot a Ruger Super GP-100 in .9mm. Very reliable.)

Thel

Blackhawk
Hamilton does, both for the old and the new style firing pins. He also has a tool for removing the firing pin bushing on the new style firing pins.