Redhawk 45 4" except for the grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RickH

Bearcat
I have a Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt and really like the gun and caliber. I want a DA revolver and, since I like the 45 Colt, am considering a new Redhawk .45 4". I was able to look at a 44 magnum version at the dealer yesterday. Unfortunately the factory Hogue grip felt awkward (big, fat).

The S&W N-frames (Models 629 and 325) I've tried with Hogue factory grips are a good fit for me and a GP100 with old-style factory wood-insert grips is also a good fit.

Is there a grip that would make the Redhawk fit more like a S&W N-frame or GP100, or is the Redhawk simply too big for me? Thanks for the help.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The standard wood grip panels work good for me and I have small hands. The conversion is easy. All you need is the grip panel locator disk and the grips with screw. :D

Redhawk75.jpg

...Jimbo

RickH

Bearcat
Thanks Jimbo,

In order to see if we prefer similar grips, could you tell me if you like the old-style GP100 or Super Redhawk wood-insert grips? Or do you like the S&W N-frame (like model 629 .44 Magnum) with Hogue rubber grips? Thanks

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
RickH":1wdr77d4 said:
Thanks Jimbo,

In order to see if we prefer similar grips, could you tell me if you like the old-style GP100 or Super Redhawk wood-insert grips? Or do you like the S&W N-frame (like model 629 .44 Magnum) with Hogue rubber grips? Thanks

The original GP-100 grips were ok for me but they were a little soft and bulky for me so I went to the Hogue grip and sanded down on them a bit to get just the right fit. Here is a pic of my GP. The Hogue grips on a S&W 686 are fine for me also. :D
000_0004.jpg

...Jimbo

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have a 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt and really like the standard wood stocks. If they will fit the new 4" models that would be just about ideal! I have some of the old Hogue finger groove grips but didn't really like them, too thin on the sides. But I hate those new Hogue fat-ass grips they are using. BTW, also have the 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk and I agree, it is one superb 45 Colt revolver.

Knuckles

Buckeye
The best set up I have seen was the standard Redhawk woodies with a Tyler "T-Grip" added... somebody please show him a pic' for me.

Rodbuster416

Bearcat
These Herrett shooting stars are probably worth a look to you.
I'm not sure if they're still in production or in business for that matter.
I found these on ebay. It took a while but a set finally popped up.
A set may pop up tomorrow or it may take 3-4 months for a set to surface.
Be willing to spend $50 - $70 for a set "NIB" when they do.
You will also need the old style grip locater for these grips.

Theres a plastic, close copy of the Herrett. It's by "Uncle Mikes". A bunch of guys swear by it also.
It too is out of production and surface from time to time on ebay.
When you spot a set of there, be sure it doesn't say "Super" Redhawk.
Good luck,Ray

2iu9h10.jpg

H_Talon

Bearcat
Bruce in WV":2dw2ojvs said:
http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/alaskan_Survival.htm

This is a custom gun and there are a number of them out there. I remember seeing a comment on that forum that the gunshop had produced over 400 todate. Surely some of them are on the market from time to time.

here is mine, no not on the market ...

but I love my Reeder Alaskan, :)

check it out ..

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39323

Talon

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have a 4" RH .44Mag, altho I'd prefer the .45 as I have the dies, etc for that caliber. Must admit that the .44 shoots very well, however. I absolutely hated the Hogue's, found some wood grips at a show and now am waiting on a different version of the grip locator with the larger stud so that it will fit my grips. Really liked the pix on the Reeder conversion and have been thinking about sending my gun away for some similar treatment.
sonnytoo

Bob C

Bearcat
I have the standard wooden Redhawk grips for my 4" .45 Colt.

They are very similar in feel to the standard Ruger Bisley grips.

bronco45

Single-Sixer
Herrett is still in business and I just got a set of ROPER style grips for an L frame Smith. About to check with Rod Herrett to see if he made the Ropers for the Redhawk. I have a 4" 44 Redhawk.

Rodbuster416

Bearcat
saltydog":2d3ge9ih said:
Guys,

Where did you get your grips and locater disks?

Thanks
I've had my locator in a box with the original grips since the 80's. It came off my first Redhawk which now wears Pachmayr. The Pach's are a full wrap around that don't appear to need the locator.

I only commented on the grip locator because those Herrett grips pictured above were relieved on the inside to fit the older style locator.
I'm assuming the grips I purchased were vintage new old stock.

I hope this isn't confusing.

Rodbuster416

Bearcat
bronco45":3lhl0m6m said:
Herrett is still in business and I just got a set of ROPER style grips for an L frame Smith. About to check with Rod Herrett to see if he made the Ropers for the Redhawk. I have a 4" 44 Redhawk.

Moscow, ID.?
I have friends across the river from you in Vale, OR.