Redhawk 44 Mag 4" Opinions Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BgDnTX

Bearcat
Hello to all. I have been around guns for years and reloading for about 2 years now. I've been into Glocks and M&Ps for carry but really love the revolvers. So ...
I currently have a GP100 6 inch, a Redhawk in 7.5 inch, and a Bisley Flattop chambered in 44 Special. I am looking at buying another Redhawk in 4 inch, and I want some info on what to expect from this revolver.
When I started reloading 44, I was always on the hot side, but after a couple of years have calmed down a bit and now go for accuracy, efficiency in performance, and comfort to some degree. :D My application is target and hunting.
To narrow the comments a bit, I am talking 200g and 240g SWC in the Magnums. (The Bisley 44 Special I shoot for target fun, usually 200g around 900 fps +/-)
I would like some info on this please:
Using 200g and 240g SWC, and using fps as the measurement – what do you consider a "standard load" the "sweet spot" and "full power" loads I should aim for or expect out of this 4" barrel?
Thanks, and will appreciate your comments.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have several 44 magnum handguns and to be honest I enjoy shooting them more with a reduced load. I usually reduce the max load by about 10% with most powders and then look for accuracy. My favorites now are Accurate #9, Blue Dot and Universal. The Universal I sometimes reduce by 20% for a mild load. Do not reduce H-110/W296 more than 5% per the manufacturer. I have FPS out of a rifle but not with my handguns. :D

PS Welcome to the forum. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
One of my main criteria is accuracy first. I let the gun tell me what IT likes. Since you are reloading,,, I'll offer a small suggestion. I prefer cast bullets, SWC design of some variety, powder coated, moving in the 1100 fps bracket. You can select the components to make that happen, & work into a load your gun likes.

jgt

Buckeye
This is only my opinion so take it for what it is worth. I would not go with a four inch barrel in 44 magnum. My shortest barrel in 44 magnum is six inches. I do like five inch 44 specials because they pack like a four inch and shoot like a six inch. The problem is having enough barrel to burn the powder. If it is too short you get muzzle flash that can blind you in low light conditions. For practical hunting loads in hill country I would choose 21 grains of H110 under a 240 grain swc for a full power load. For a standard load I would use 10 grains of unique under a 240 grain swc. The sweet spot load will be where you find it while working up to these loads. It may be higher or lower than the charge I use as every gun is different. To be honest, the redhawk you have is a better hunting gun than what you are buying and the Blackhawk 44 special is a better everyday packing gun than a redhawk. It is a free country so you can choose what you want and I would be the last to tell you not to. My everyday load for the 44 special is 6.5 grains of universal clays under a 240 swc. If a cape buffalo gets off of one of those game ranches and ends up in your front pasture then I would recommend a Marlin 444 with a three hundred fifty grain Ranch Dog bullet under a healthy charge of 4198, but in a handgun from mice to moose, I choose the 240 swc. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Out of a 4 inch Redhawk, I would expect the following

Full Power - 1200+ fps
Mid Range - 1000-1100 fps
Mild Load - 800-900 fps

Sweet Spot for a Redhawk is Full Power
Sweet Spot for a 629 is probably the Mid Range Loads.

LAH

Buckeye
I used a 4" 44 mag for 8 years. My standard load was the Lyman 429421 & 20 gains of 2400. This did 1201 fps from my gun. It was plenty without being too much. I've never shot a 4" Redhawk but if it puts the recoil straight into the web of your hand like my S&W did you'll find it easy to handle. Plus this load won't ring your ears if you must take a quick shot in the field.

I have had .44 mags with barrels from 4 inches to 7.5 inches. Two Redhawk's a 4 incher and a 7.5 inch. I expected the 7.5 inch barrel to be a tack driver-it wasn't. Bought used for a project that didn't pan out, and sold it to someone who wanted a project gun. I still have a Redhawk( 4 inch barrel). I reload, and use 240 gr LSWC over 19.5 grs 2400, or 24 grs of 296/h110. Both are accurate in my gun. I am working on some 300 gr wfn, and 320 gr wfn gas checked. Jury still out since I haven't shot enough for an opinion. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
gramps