Redding Profile Crimp Die

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
Anytime you use a heavy roll crimp the liklihood of seating the projectile deeper exists because the roll crimp is pushing the case mouth downward actually making the projectile seat slightly deeper. If you changed to a factory crimp die such as the lee factory crimp die you will not see this happen.

Then again, many times when I am setting the depth of my projectiles I will use a factory round that works well. I will place it in the seating die and tighten down until I first feel contact with the crimp edge and then turn about an 1/8th turn more. I will then run the seating rod down until contact is made. After doing this I have no significant differences in depths or overall lengths than the factory rounds I am copying.

islander

Bearcat
Received a call back from Redding tech, their engineer is aware of this issue and it is "normal" - the Redding Profile Crimp Die WILL SEAT THE BULLET DEEPER.

How much will depend on individual factors such as type of bullet, level of crimp, etc. In my specific case 38 spl light crimp seated the bullet between 0.005" to 0.008", negligible perhaps but something to be aware of.

Latest posts