Red Label Shotgun Questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DH56

Bearcat
Hello:

Throwing this out to the group to see if you can educate me on the Ruger Red Label Ducks Unlimited shotguns. I think back many, many years and have always wanted to own one. I have a friend who's father died and he has two Ruger Over/Under 12 guages that he is wanting to sell. Both are Ducks unlimited versions and both supposedly have not been shot. One of them has a "Gold" Label instead of the red label on the butt stock.

Does anyone have any knowledge on why the gold label instead of the red label? Value? They also have the gold inlays on the receiver etc that comes along with the ducks unlimited version.

I know how much they use to sell for before they discontinued production, but have no idea what they are worth today and with the DU version. Any help would be appreciated.

John

jkh004

Bearcat
Pictures and better description will help. Gold labels are side by side (not over and under) and have much more value than a Red label. Red label - 1000ish - Gold label 3000ish?

some of the guns would have been made for one of the Ducks Unlimited banquets, whereas there was one made in 1984 ,that was actually a "US Duck Stamp Commemerative" and for Ducks Unlimited, these had a coined nickel finish, and were engraved ,done by Ken Hurst...........Gold Labels, and Woodsides were just 'other' Ruger shotgun models................

DH56

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies- I don't have any pictures, since I have briefly seen them, but I am planning on taking a closer look in the next few weeks.. The Ruger Red Label over/under does have a gold label on the buttstock. I am aware of the SXS having this but never saw it on the over/Under. I have a feeling that this is the 50th anniversary edition and most likely the 1984 version and that is the reason why it has that along with the DU engraving on the receiver. I just have not seen another one like it. The other Over/Under has the standard Ruger label on the buttstock.

DH56

Bearcat
I received an email with some information-confirming one with the gold label. I will be going over there to take a look in about a week.

They both are Sturm Rugger Over Under 12 Guage 3" chamber
Daniel Smith engraving dated 1989 based on the serial numbers

One with a red logo and one with a gold logo under hand grip

chet15

Hawkeye
DH56 said:
I received an email with some information-confirming one with the gold label. I will be going over there to take a look in about a week.

They both are Sturm Rugger Over Under 12 Guage 3" chamber
Daniel Smith engraving dated 1989 based on the serial numbers

One with a red logo and one with a gold logo under hand grip

Just remember, the logo medallion in the end of the pistol grip has no bearing on what the name of the gun is. Parts is parts in that regard and there are different grip medallions.
If it is a 12 gauge and was built in 1989, then it is of the Red Label series.
Chet15