Red label question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnhb2

Single-Sixer
Did a 12 ga , 26 inch barrel, red label o/u, made in 1990 come with replaceable chokes or was it a fixed choke gun? Or did they offer both types? Thanks for your help

TBear77

Single-Sixer
IIRC by 1990 all Red Label shotguns came with interchangeable chokes. MY 1989 cataloge dosen't show any fixed choke models available.

As far as specific shotguns, if you open the shotgun and look on the side of the monoblock, you will see:
o on shotguns that left the factory as fixed choke...an identifier for what the barrels are choked.
o on shotguns that left the factory as interchangeable choke...no identifier on the monoblock.

Ted

johnhb2

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the help men. I guess I bought one with with the factory removable chokes. That's good. Most people research before they buy but the impulse buy got me this time and it turned out good. John

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
There are stainless receiver 12 gauges that do not have choke tubes. For example, the several 2 digit red labels I have had were fixed chokes. I think there were several years of production of stainless receiver 12 gauge Red Labels with out choke tubes.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
IIRC, interchangable choke tubes started with serial number 410-xxxx. If the serial number begins with 410- it will use the short (Browning Invector style) choke tubes. 411-up uses the longer (Invector Plus) tubes.

chet15

Hawkeye
Nearly all of the 12 gauge Red labels have stainless receivers. The only chrome moly receiver 12 gauge Red Labels made were the earliest 410- prefix guns....reportedly totalling 419 guns in addition to the 1,000 chrome moly receiver Ducks Unlimited 12 gauge Red Labels with nickle finish receiver.
The highest chrome moly recever 12 gauge known is 410-03144.
After that...all stainless...over 65,000 of them.
Ruger did make a few blue receiver 12 gauge Red Labels for Orvis, but quantities were very limited...probably not more than 200 each of the 26" and the 28" models. These were the first Red Label Shotguns to have any choke tubes factory installed by the factory (Ruger also built some 20 Gauge blue receiver Red labels for Orvis at the same time).
One other 410- prefix Red Label is known with choke tubes...a special presentation gun to one of the directors on Ruger's board.
Choke Tubes did not become standard on the 12 gauge Red Label shotgun until the 411- prefix.
Chet15

wwb

Hunter
chet15":2tqmt19c said:
One other 410- prefix Red Label is known with choke tubes...a special presentation gun to one of the directors on Ruger's board.
Choke Tubes did not become standard on the 12 gauge Red Label shotgun until the 411- prefix.
Chet15

?????

I sold it a little over a year ago when I bought my SKB, but my Red Label was 410-43499, 28" barrels, had a red butt pad (can't honestly call it a recoil pad), a stainless receiver, and the early style short, blue choke tubes. One of my shooting pals has a 410 prefix just like my old one, also with the short choke tubes.