Red Label Info Request

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
I have no experience with O/U shotguns but have been wanting one for some time to hunt grouse. At my LGS today, I spotted a 20 gauge Red Label in what appears to be excellent condition for $1345 in the rack. The serial number indicates manufacture in 1998. The lock mechanism seemed tight but smooth and the general fit an finish appear to be quite good. It comes with the original box and a set of chokes, although I didn't look at those yet. It seemed to shoulder well for me. What else should I be looking for when considering this gun? Does the price sound reasonable? Are there any quirks on this model or generation that I might regret in the field later? Thanks in advance for any advice.

chet15

Hawkeye
The red label is an excellent shotgun. But the $1,345 price tag is pretty high for a used example.
Chet15

JFB

Hunter
around "here", Red Labels are rare, especially a 20G. I want one so I would try hard for a week to get it under $1100, BUT I might dish out the extra $300 for it

trapperon

Blackhawk
Boatbuilder

Dealers will typically haggle on used firearms on the rack. It seems you dont see red labels around very often--especially in 20ga. If it looks like a good one to you I would make him an offer of 100-150 off his asking price and see where it goes. Get out grouse hunting---knowing the value will only increase on this package especially as it sounds complete with box and all.

I have a feeling the red labels will never pass this way again---

Ron

kevin seyer

Single-Sixer
boatbuilder
I have one in 20 ga i would consider selling.bought it for the wife but she never really took on to the clays. has about 200 rds thru it.model04019,serial#401-05127,cat#krls-2029. has the orig box paperwork and chokes and choke tool. english sytle grip.
let me know if you might be interested.
Kevin

jjas

Single-Sixer
If you google the item and catalog number provided, (ruger red label krls-2029), all of the links that come up show 26" barrels for that catalog number.

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
Thanks to all who replied. I would have been interested in Mr. Seyer's straight stock version since I have a preference for that style after using a BPS Upland with that grip for many years, but I didn't seen his post until after I had made an offer to the LGS. She accepted and I'm the proud owner of a very nice Red Label 20 gauge. I had the chance to try it out last weekend and it functions perfectly, shoulders and points very well for me, and will make a fine grouse gun. Thanks again for the responses.

trapperon

Blackhawk
boatbuilder

Congrats! I think you did well. You got one made while Bill Sr. was still at the helm--so if it is working fine now should be good pretty much forever. I know I love mine, and it just feels good carrying an american made quality over and under through the grouse woods! Just an all around strong and handsome shotgun indeed. Glad you were able to get it.

Ron