Red Label Doubling???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Is it actually physcially POSSIBLE for both barrels on this type of action to fire truly simultaneously? I would have thought there would be at least some time interval between firing, although the effect on the shooter might seem simultaneous.

Anybody really know? (I've never had a Ruger shotgun double, either Red or Gold Label. Just as happy to NOT have that experience, especially with 3" shells!).

montanaboy

Bearcat
mattsbox99 said:
When it doubles do both barrels fire at the same time or is there a slight delay?

Well... it seems like a simultainous BANG but I don't think that is actually possible... there must be a delay however it is so minor (in the nano-second area) it is impossible to tell.

montanaboy

Bearcat
Sugar River said:
Not clear from the original story, did it double only for you? Or did it for your nephew also?
I'm inclined towards the the inadvertant second pull of the trigger theory mentioned above.
Pete

No it doubled for both of us the point is it was inadvertant with the heavy loads... sometimes it doubled or sometimes it didn't regardless of who was shooting the gun.

montanaboy

Bearcat
My nephew lives 'bout 70 miles north of me so I do not have immediate access to the gun however I will be up that a way come Chritsmas and will take matts suggestion, give it a complete cleaning removing any and all packing/manufacturing grease and see if that fixes it.

Will let you all know.

Thanks again for all your help... this is a great forum

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
montanaboy said:
will take matts suggestion, give it a complete cleaning removing any and all packing/manufacturing grease and see if that fixes it.

Hi,

Good plan. To quote my old gunsmith boss when folks would bring Rugers in to "fix":

"First, let's get it working the way Ruger DESIGNED it to, THEN we'll think about 'fixing' things!"

He had only praise for Ruger's designs, but very little good to say about Ruger putting stuff in boxes and shipping it out before it was ready to shoot...

Hope a good clean and lube regimen does the trick for you!

Rick C

Mac11

Bearcat
I sent my RL back for what I thought was a doubling problem about 15 years ago. Ruger techs said it wouldn't duplicate for them but they would change some trigger parts anyway and send it back. They included a letter with the gun that explained most doubling issues were actually caused by a loose hold on the gun during recoil (limp wrist) and weren't really a double but a rapid recoil caused second trigger pull. They suggested I try a firmer hold on the gun and lo and behold, THAT fixed my problem. I had been shooting 1100's for years and didn't need to grip the gun as tightly as the RL. I love my Red Label and use it for skeet, clays and uplands.