Red Label 20ga new style production

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
Probably a good question for chad--just wondering if anybody ever got the final quantity on the new style red labels shipped in 20ga?
I was fortunate to get one at Cabelas when they were released--a 30 incher, and it does come up on the Ruger Website serial number search. I was starting to see the new 12's around pretty regularly, but this was the only 20ga I have ever run across.

Thanks for any production info--

Ron

R77PA

Single-Sixer
I have never seen one. The only ones I saw were 12 ga and very plain wood, After they got a bad rap my dealer had one for a long time before he got rid of it.

chet15

Hawkeye
trapperon said:
Probably a good question for chad--just wondering if anybody ever got the final quantity on the new style red labels shipped in 20ga?
I was fortunate to get one at Cabelas when they were released--a 30 incher, and it does come up on the Ruger Website serial number search. I was starting to see the new 12's around pretty regularly, but this was the only 20ga I have ever run across.

Thanks for any production info--

Ron

Serial numbers run from at least 402-00505 to at least 402-01221, so really I think they began at 402-00500 or 402-00501.
But who knows if they completed all of these serial numbered receivers into shotguns. I'd originally heard only a few hundred were produced. As far as I know, the majority were offered to employee's.
Chet15

R77PA said:
I have never seen one. The only ones I saw were 12 ga and very plain wood, After they got a bad rap my dealer had one for a long time before he got rid of it.

What was the bad rap? I heard they were discontinued because Ruger couldn't make money with them and/or lost the folks who knew how do braze the barrels over a pay dispute...

trapperon

Blackhawk
I never heard of a bad rap on them either, personally. I was under the impression the cost was still too high to manufacture them--after they promoted about a $500 reduction in retail price over the originals. Just tough to compete with browning and Beretta when you are close to the same price point.

The serial number on my new 20ga red label is 402-01164 a model KRLG2-2030BR a 30 inch model.

Almost hate to use it now though!!!!!

Ron

Rdtay10

Bearcat
Ron,
I have one that I also found at Cabelas. 402-01189. I've shot mine. Great hunting gun. When Ruger announced that they were stopping production of the new Red Label, they said they had 250 20 gauge Red Labels that they were going to release. So I always thought that there were only 250 produced. Mine is the only one that I have ever seen, but there was an old thread on here about them and I believe at least a few others were identified. Chet is the authority on the subject and his info is always correct. Mine not so much.
Rodney

Latest posts