Red Label 20 to 28 GA?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dtalbot

Bearcat
I have a very nicely figured straight grip Red Label in 20 gauge. Had it for several years, and I'm happy with it. My hunting is pretty much limited to grouse these days, and I think a 28 GA would serve me better.
It's nearly impossible to find a one at a reasonable price, however, at least for my wallet size.

Let me ask, is it possible to fit Red label barrels in 28 GA to my 20 GA frame and stock set, and vice versa?
I'd like to keep my existing frame and wood, which I like and know, swap the barrels, and send the leftovers down the road as a complete 20 GA.

Thanks for a reply.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Dont know if its possible but I'd think its easier to find a complete gun than just the barrels. I mean … how many do we think were parted out?

dtalbot

Bearcat
No, not looking for just the barrels.
I was thinking a lower budget Red Label in 28GA.
Swap the barrels from it with my 20 GA barrels.
I'd then send the 20 GA barrels down the road with the original 28 Frame and wood.

dtalbot

Bearcat
OK, thanks for that info the frame size. I'm surprised they would make a smaller frame for the 28 GA. Hardly cost effective IMHO. Probably didn't sell that many.
That pretty much nixes my thought of swapping barrels.

I will look into the Briley tubes. Didn't know they made them in that type of configuration, thanks NikA!

dtalbot

Bearcat
I believe I've found a low cost alternative to my dilemma....little skeeters

I do have a question however, maybe someone here can guide me.
Is it possible to easily disable the ejector function and use them as extractors in the Red Label?
I'd like to try these but I think the ejector function would be the demise of them.

Don G

Bearcat
They made a smaller frame for the 28 because the 20 is too heavy and clubby, even for a 20 in the opinion of many. The 28 is a wand. Love mine

eveled

Hawkeye
I was going to mention that. I would only buy a smaller gauge if it came on a smaller frame. Otherwise you not gaining all that you can from the smaller gauge.

As far as the ejectors go, I think it was offered by Ruger when I bought my Red Label to send it in if I wanted the ejectors disabled. So it is possible, but I have no idea what it involves.

dtalbot

Bearcat
I'm not burdened by the weight of the rifle. My dog wears out before me.
Thanks eveled, that's the help I'm looking for.

90a421ce-71a5-4626-abd3-901b1999967b_cropped.jpg

dtalbot

Bearcat
I might add, the reasoning for this 28 GA is the 20 is just too tough on the birds. I shoot 7 1/2's in low brass and it still hammers the birds. I bought a set of Savage .410 'ers but haven't tried them yet. I'd rather step down a tad, not a full leap.

Just found this on Shotgun World. Sounds pretty easy.

Disable Ejectors

Last edited:

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I believe I've found a low cost alternative to my dilemma....little skeeters

I do have a question however, maybe someone here can guide me.
Is it possible to easily disable the ejector function and use them as extractors in the Red Label?
I'd like to try these but I think the ejector function would be the demise of them.
I too was looking into Little Skeeters last week. Sent an email to the company and one of their Production Managers answered. He said the little skeeter and the fired shell would both be ejected but it wouldn't hurt the skeeter.

Don't know if he was right or not but considering his job I imagine he was. I was looking at 20 Gauge to 28 Gauge and also to .410 bore.

dtalbot

Bearcat
Ka6otm, I looked at the website they have and you can order a package that has a pair each of the .410 and 28 GA conversion from 20GA. I think that's what I'm going to opt for myself.

The ballistic effect on a bird of a 3" Magnum 20 and a low-base 2 3/4" 28 can be dramatic! The 20 was made to replace the 16 and mostly has, even in Europe where the 16 was king for decades.

The guys that developed the 20 mag (like Francis Sell) were thinking of waterfowl shooting more than anything else. But it got adopted a an all-around guage, and in its heavier loads it kicks enough to bother some shooters, so Ruger over-built the original Red Label 20 to take care of that. That's why it is sort of "clubby."

The 28 was meant as an expert upland game hunter's gun, and it's about perfect for that. And since many of the "experts" are geezers, its light weight is a life saver (but not if you're a bird).

dtalbot

Bearcat
I'm a geezer and far from an expert.
I grew up hunting stocked pheasants. When I bought a camp in norther New Hampshire, that changed things.
I bought a .20, and soon realized it's too much. I don't want to ditch the gun, I love it, I just need a step down for better consumption of the birds.

Funky

Bearcat
I did not see where You mentioned it , but if You handload You can easily load 3/4 ounce in a twenty gauge with great results [I load 5/8 oz. in twenty gauge and 11/16 for 16 ga., for clay targets only ]. Also I have some Magtech brass shotshells that I load with cardboard and fiber wads for hunting, they are real easy to load, no tools are needed, except for depriming, and a small punch will do that, or do as I did and drill the base out so You can use shotgun primers, made it easier yet. GoodLuck and Good Shooting Chris P.S. Great Looking Dog and shotgun!