Red dot size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Is a 4 MOA small enough for target shooting at 25-50 yards? I'm not talking about high level competition, but I'd hope to shoot sub 1" groups at 25 and sub-2" at 50 yards. I know this is somewhat subjective, but I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
My $.02 is that the 4 MOA dot might be a little big, if you're looking to shoot groups that tight.

The way I understand it, a 4 MOA dot will cover approximately 1" at 25 yds or 2" at 50 yds.

Depending on how steady you are (bench or offhand?), and how "crisp" the edge of the dot is, your dot will cover the size group you are hoping to shoot.

Different people use dot sights differently. Some like a small dot to center in the middle of a bullseye, some like a larger dot, that they basically cover the bullseye with.

While I own a couple of UltraDots, I'd use a 2X scope (of the bench... :D )if I were trying for groups this small.

Meanwhile, my UltraDots shoot "minute of pop can" just fine... which is about my skill level! :oops:

toysoldier

Hunter
I have a NcSTAR red-green dot sight mounted on a Webly Vulcan pellet gun, and another one on a Marlin Papoose. The spot is not small, but I have no problem centering the aiming point, especially a black bullseye, in the dot for excellent accuracy. Sort of like using a peep sight.

hutchman

Blackhawk
I don't know which red dot you are looking at, but the Bushnell Trophy series has several models with 3 moa dots that are reasonably priced. I have one on my Charger and it is a great plinker.

Couple of things from my limited experience with the 'dot' sights...

first, the highest brightness setting on these things is not your friend. You want to just be able to see the dot when 'target or fun' shooting.

Second, and correct me it I'm wrong here. Everyone talks about the dot covering the target... why would you cover the target with the dot? Is that not like covering the target with an iron sight and then trying to hit it? (by the way, this is how I thought you aimed and shot for 30 years of my shooting life)
should not the dot be just under the point of aim... that is how I sight them in.

I also sight in a scope with cross hairs the same way... up and to the left of the center.

REP1954

Blackhawk
My experience with dot sights have been with AR15 type rifles and all were 4 MOA size dots. I was able to shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups using them on a 8" bull at 80 to 100 yds. That was using Trijicons Reflex II sights I cant speak for other brands but the Trijicon was one nice unit it only used the battery when the light was to low.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have Marlin .22 with a Bushnell sight that has a 4 MOA dot. I don't like it much for bullseye shooting, but in the field, I set it so I can see through the dot. Cover a squirrel's head with that dot at 50 yds, and the next thing you know you have a dead squirrel.

Getting used to the red dot takes some practice. Luckily, practice is cheap with a .22.

Wobble

Bearcat
Yes, 4 MOA is good. I have a Bushnell Trophy that has a 3 MOA setting that I use about 99% of the time. The 10 MOA setting is about useless.