Red Dot Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bereta1

Bearcat
:?: Just wondering what you guys are using? I'm waiting on a base from SGW, in order for me to install a red dot sight on my Mark IV Comp. I'm wondering about the Vortex Venom, and, the Burris FF II or III. Thanks

CraigC

Hawkeye
I like the tube type red dots. I've tried a few reflex types and just don't care for them. The mini's from Primary Arms and Bushnell work well for a .22 pistol.

IMG_8837b.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I happen to have several.
From C-More to UltraDot, to Burris, to Tru-Glo, & one other brand that escapes me right now.

If used properly,, they can be excellent.
For serious accuracy,, get the smallest MOA dot offered. As distance increases,,, the dot appears bigger,, so it can completely block out a small target center.
For speed,,, a bigger dot can be picked up quicker,,, and be very, very fast in hitting a larger target. (Think competition here.)
I just took a Burris off a handgun to put a scope on it instead. Why? I'm taking this gun along on an elk hunt this fall, and in practice at 100 yds,, I "lost" the target center so much, my groups were enlarged. A scope allowed me to get back to serious accuracy.

If you are looking to compare brands,, then I'd give the nod to UltraDot or C-More.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have Vortex Venoms on three guns (a 10/22, a PC Carbine and an S&W 686), a Leupold Delta Point Pro on an S&W M&P9 and a C-more on a MkIV Target. I like them all.

I have used a tube-type dot (a Bushnell TRS 25 as shown in the second posting here) and it worked very well but I prefer the open, non-obstructed view the Venom, etc. give.

As noted by contender, for "serious" accuracy, aka longer ranges, a magnifying scope is the better choice but for close range and speed, the dots are unequaled. That is why the USPSA, IDPA and Steel Challenge shooters all use them for the firearms classes not limited to open sights.

mishtub

Blackhawk
In my experience, reflex sights in bright sunlight tend to "wash out" the dot a bit especially if the light comes from behind, the tube type of sight like the Bushnell TRS-25 and Ultradot, don't "wash out" nearly as much.
The Burris FF2 has to be unmounted to change the battery as it is only accessible from the bottom, the Burris FF3 fixed that problem.
IMHO, very little difference between the Venom and the FF3.
For most people that I have been around, the reflex sights tend to have the dot be acquired quicker than the tube types.
I agree that the smaller the dot, the better accuracy potential especially as distance increases.
Out of curiosity, what is your intended use; target, hunting, plinking, competition, etc.?

bereta1

Bearcat
mishtub said:
In my experience, reflex sights in bright sunlight tend to "wash out" the dot a bit especially if the light comes from behind, the tube type of sight like the Bushnell TRS-25 and Ultradot, don't "wash out" nearly as much.
The Burris FF2 has to be unmounted to change the battery as it is only accessible from the bottom, the Burris FF3 fixed that problem.
IMHO, very little difference between the Venom and the FF3.
For most people that I have been around, the reflex sights tend to have the dot be acquired quicker than the tube types.
I agree that the smaller the dot, the better accuracy potential especially as distance increases.
Out of curiosity, what is your intended use; target, hunting, plinking, competition, etc.?

No competition at all. Mainly, hunting, target, and, plinking. Iron sights are not much good with trifocals, lol. Thanks for the replies.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
QHVnzCi.jpg

After years of shooting C-More sights I decided to test the Vortex Venom on my modified Mark IV. I'm very satisfied with this sight. It mounts directly to the rail using the Weaver Mount that comes with the sight.

I find it easy to adjust and love the battery replacement. Plus, the batteries will last a year compared to having to replace them in my C-Mores every few weeks.

grobin

Blackhawk
Trijicon 1 MOA on my Blackhawk 10mm convertible, Sig Sauer ROMEO5 X 2 MOA on my 22/45, and a Trijicon RMR 7moa on my SIG 938.

If you don't mind the size, the Bushnell is an OK sight. I have one of those , a Vortex FF2 and FF3. Not sure which of the Vortex I prefer as far as sighting but the FF3 doesn't require dismounting to change batteries. The Vortex also offer a lower illumination level than the Bushnell when shooting in dim light.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Not sure which of the Vortex I prefer as far as sighting but the FF3 doesn't require dismounting to change batteries.
The Vortex Venom also allows battery changes without removing it from the mount. The Viper does require removal to change the battery.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I agree on the issue of washing out in bright light.

Maybe it's an issue of familiarity but I find the reflex types slower to acquire. I've tried the Burris, Vortex, Primary Arms and TruGlo. Like I said, they are not my favorite. For the .460, more of a necessary evil. For applications where their small size and bulk are needed, such as slide-mounted on a semi-auto or for speed freaks who are accustomed to them, it's a worthwhile trade-off. For applications where a tube type will work, I prefer them.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_7236b.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
The PA advanced model is my favorite of the mini tube types. I have one on my CZ Scorpion and another still in the box.

IMG_0375b.jpg

Their standard is a good one too.

IMG_0513b.jpg

My favorite of all is the UltraDot 30. They're extremely lightweight at 4oz but a good bit larger.

IMG_0071b.jpg

Latest posts