red dot sight on mark lll hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1coolcat

Bearcat
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, and have searched around for this topic with no success. If its a beat topic please forgive.
I'm in the process of purchasing a ruger mark lll hunter. I would like to put a red dot sight on it. Jpoint, Fast fire, RMR ect.
I would like a direct mount the kind when you remove the rear sight and it mount directly to the gun. Is there a brand that sales this type of mount for a mark lll?
The reason is so I can easily modify my holster and the gun will still fit and I like the clean look. I don't want to carry more metal around the woods then I need to. Has anyone found pros and con's of direct mount vs. Weaver rail mount. What type of sight did you use and would you have done anything different given the opportunity. Also will the front sight blade interfere with the line of sight with a direct mount?
Thank you for and comments/ suggestions.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I recently put an UltraDot L/T on a MKIII. Instead of worrying about a direct mount, and having the ability of removing the red dot if, by some chance it failed, I did use the Ruger supplied base. I also have a couple of holsters which are made to accept a Ruger MK pistol with a scope or a dot.
Look at www.tdlabs.com for a holster. Not expensive & they work.
Just my experience.

9x19

Hunter
Burris offers a mount for their Fast Fire that fits the rear sight dovetail on a Mark III.

1coolcat

Bearcat
Thanks guys, I will check out link to holster. I thought of using a small rail, the ruger rail but with such a sleek gun I think it looks over burden or clunky.then there is the unsightly picatiny mount screw. All that can be cleaned up with a direct mount..I still would like to hear from others who have a direct mount..
.it was the Burris fast fire ..thank you.I have noticed that different manufacturers had mount for guns and others did not..almost as if you are forced to purchase there brand if you want to mount a red dot on your hand gun..not an issue, I'm just saying I couldn't remember who made the mount for the mark lll

1coolcat

Bearcat
Bearcat thanks for the pic.,
When you draw a bead on your target does the line of sight clear the front post on the ruger mark lll ? Or does it co-witness.? Could you post a pic looking through the red dot so I could see the field of view.
Thanks , 1coolcat

contender

Ruger Guru
1coolcat, red dots do not require you to align anything. When you look through the optic, it doesn't matter the position of the dot in the optic, but rather, that the dot is on the target. The dot can be in, say, the upper right corner,,, but if that is where you wish the bullet to go, you pull the trigger.
That said, oftentimes the front sight can be "seen" through the optic .

1coolcat

Bearcat
Ruger guru,
My worry is that with the direct mount , (which is what I want) the red dot will end up being obscured by the front sight post. Or at the very least create a blind spot.. I'm not trying to be disrespectful ( but I know how a red dot sight works) I just never put one on a ruger mark lll ..I would hate to miss a tasty squirrel ..it would just be frustrate..I just need to see a pic through the line of sight..does that make sense?..
Thank you for all the replies guys , happy easter!

contender

Ruger Guru
1coolcat, I do understand your question. However, you didn't specify which red dot you will use. Some mount lower than others, and you could possibly see the front sight post in your optic. With some, you won't. Look at the pic of jrayb95's gun above. Notice he has removed his front sight. Since your desires are to remove the rear sight & go low profile, why not remove the front sight as well? That would solve any potential issues you may have with a front sight being seen in your optic. Just unscrew it & store it with the rear sight.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Been using this base for a couple of years now. The FF3 can be removed, for whatever reason, and then re-installed with zero retained. This way the "irons" are available, if needed.

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
Here's my two rimfire handguns sporting TruGlo red dots - a Taurus 992, and the Ruger MkIII. The ammo boxes were included because I had scored two - count 'em - TWO boxes of Federals from Cabela's, after being on backorder for 1 year and 8 days. It was a day worth memorializing.

1coolcat

Bearcat
Contender, removing the front sight is a great idea..I'm sure I would have got around to that one..lol..what about the threaded hole..is there some place I can pic up a small screw that will sit flush I can use to protect the threads.. Perhaps I should bring gun to my LGS and see if they have one that fits..any thoughts?

1coolcat

Bearcat
Single- sixer..those guns are chomping at the full ammo boxes..better feed them soon..
I bet there a lot of fun. Myself I like the Burris fast fire or the trijicon rmr..your style of red dot is just a little big and cumbersome for my taste.. I like the slim line look.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
1coolcat said:
Contender, removing the front sight is a great idea..I'm sure I would have got around to that one..lol..what about the threaded hole..is there some place I can pic up a small screw that will sit flush I can use to protect the threads.. Perhaps I should bring gun to my LGS and see if they have one that fits..any thoughts?

Yup! That would be a #6-40 plug screw. Not a common screw thread and it's hard to understand why Ruger chose that size. The funny thing is, they use #6-48 for plug screws in the receiver, so it sure would've been handy to have the front sight screw hole that same size. If you have any problems finding a plug screw for your front sight screw hole, send me a PM, or email at [email protected].

A

Anonymous

My first pistol was a Ruger Mark III on which I attached a red dot. Second pistol was a Glock. Sold both.

My_First_Two_Pistols.jpg

OH_FFL

Bearcat
Guys,
I don't mean to highjack the OP but was wondering what red-dot or reflex sight is prefered for a MkIII?
I am looking for something for fast target aquisition, suitable for youth Steel Challenge. Seems like there are several choices out there.
Barska...NC Star look like a good value for the money. As mentioned...It will sit on a MKIII SS Target.
Will probably use the supplied mount rail for now. Any suggestions or pictures to share?

1coolcat

Bearcat
Thanks for the help guys..I removed the front and rear sight, plugged the front screw holes, used a direct mount..nice and clean .

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It does look very nice and clean mounted that way. Hope you don't need to push the bolt stop pin out from the top for disassembly though, might be an issue accessing it now.