Red dot powder for deer in bisley 45colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

schreck5

Bearcat
Can a deer load be had for a 45 colt bisley using Red Dot? Will 6.5 -7.0 grs RD and Mihec's version of the rcbs ssa 270 (285 gr) get me in the 950 - 1000 fps range?
Just getting tired of the fire breathing h110 loads and dont have any 2400, h4227, blue dot type powders.
I do have a little bit of Unique, but have not been able to find a load that my Bisley likes. I know, I know Unique seems to be very popular but for me, it has been lacking in accuracy.
Plus, I have about 12 pounds of RedDot. Thanks, Bruce

JStacy

Blackhawk
red dot is awful fast for that large of a case ! A little too much and pressures will spike. Try 2400 or 4227 but for the performance you are looking for there is not a shortcut. Power goes in all directions when you pull the trigger , including straight back.

Rclark

Hunter
7.0g under 255g SWC (accurate) gave me 948fps out of a 5 1/2" barrel BH. YMMV of course as you have heavier bullet and is going to be seated deeper in the case. I looked up Brian Pearce's data for that particular bullet SAA 270, and he does have a Red Dot load of 5.5g for a Tier 1 14K pressure load 782fps. No other data available that I could find. Your call off course for your gun.

hittman

Staff member
Just a couple threads below this one is another about 45 loads for Rugers.

Maybe there's some info there that will help you too.

schreck5

Bearcat
Hittman, yes i read that thread, but didn,t see what i was looking for. Rather than hijack that thread, i decided to open my own.

I've been reading all these threads, and what I find interesting about the 45 is the range it can be loaded. I load mine for light target fun at the range. But these hunting loads are at the complete opposite of the spectrum.

And you say Unique hasn't been accurate for you? What barrel length is your Bisley? I believe you, some guns shoot different.

I guess they all do really. I have 2 Blackhawks in 45's. One has a 5 1/2 inch barrel, the other 7 1/2 inch. I've found 2400 to be a happy medium as far as accuracy between the two.

Good luck. I know it might be hard to find Different powders these days.

Rclark

Hunter
Would that Brian Pierce load be reasonable for deer?
I don't handgun hunt so not going there.... The data I gave was a 'reference' as a starting place. Since that load is a SAAMI 14K load, and your large frame Bisley can handle 30K loads, you have a bit of wiggle room. Ie. 6.0g Red Dot, for example, would be no problem get you in the 800fps range. Like I said though, your gun, your call.

schreck5

Bearcat
Hawkeye, my bbl is 7.5". I was expecting good things from Unique, but it turns out that Red Dot was more accurate by a good bit. HS6 (MLPP) preformed about like Unique.